Help! Stuck throttle on arrival into marina

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was pulling into the marina tonight and noticed that my dead slow speed seemed to be a little faster than usual. When we were parking in the slip, reverse was okay but I kept getting stuck in forward. I tried a few times in the slip to see if it was a one time thing...it wasn't. I've got to (somehow) get it back to the trailer, which is about 15 miles away via boat. Is there a temporary fix before I can get the boat out of the water? It's a fairly standard 5.7 w/ Alpha 1 and quicksilver shifter.

*note: My shifter cable is about 4 years old.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Help! Stuck throttle on arrival into marina

Check to see if the shift cutout switch is working (sounds like it isn't)....

Chris.......

Fun Times

Staff member

Was pulling into the marina tonight and noticed that my dead slow speed seemed to be a little faster than usual. When we were parking in the slip, reverse was okay but I kept getting stuck in forward. I tried a few times in the slip to see if it was a one time thing...it wasn't. I've got to (somehow) get it back to the trailer, which is about 15 miles away via boat. Is there a temporary fix before I can get the boat out of the water? It's a fairly standard 5.7 w/ Alpha 1 and quicksilver shifter.

*note: My shifter cable is about 4 years old.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Hi there, First Question, Do you have some basic hand tools on board?

Just to clarify, Your in gear idle speed is higher then normal? How bout in neutral gear? 650 RPM?

What kept getting stuck in forward? The high idle or the shifting into or out of gear? Or is the throttle handle not moving?

The shift cable that is 4 years old, is it the cable between the throttle/shifting controller going to the engine? or the shift cable between the engine and the stern drive?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure were all on the same page to try and help you out the best we can.

It sounds like you may need to take the shifter controller assembly apart to get access to the shift cables. Is there plenty of access room behind the side panel?

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks very much for the replies..I was idling a little high. Fortunately the guy next to me had a timing gun so I should be good to go.

Thanks again!