audile warning...what is it???

jasondemitri

Recruit
There is a steady audible warning coming from my throttle controls. Its on a 1995 merc ELPTO 2 stroke 115 with quicksilver controls. The sound is staedy, not alternating. The repair manual says its an overheat warning, however it goes off even when the motor is dead cold. I have another issue as my motor isnt charging my battery and the tac is acting funky. Can the alarm be a low battery warning? The tell tale spits water and water comes from the exhaust when running. I dont think there is an issue with overheating, however the book says its overheating. Any thoughts???

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: audile warning...what is it???

The OT sensor is on the back of the block, probably left side looking from the rear with a tan or tan/light blue wire coming from it. Follow the wire from the sensor back to the bayonet connection and unplug it. Test your horn. If the horn quits blowing, get a new OT sensor.

If the horn still blows it is possibly your oil level alarm. Sometimes the magnet falls off the level switch and causes a false low oil level alarm That uses Lt. Blue wires and emanate from the back (engine side) of the oil tank. Find them and disconnect. Then try again.

If horn still sounds, disconnect the Sense Module for those two alarms. You can find it by looking for the colored wires mentioned.

If horn still sounds, you have one of those signal wires shorted somewhere between the place where you disconnected them and the ground side of the horn or between the output of the module and the ground side of the horn.

The signal goes out the engine to the control box wiring harness via pin 3 on a Tan/lt. Blue stripe wire.

Actually the OT is the only one that in normal operation gives a solid tone. The low oil warning is modulated by the module to a beep beep beep.

HTH,

Mark

jasondemitri

Recruit

UPDATE...

disconnected the OT sensor from the terminal where the sensor connects with two other wires (terminal has 3 wires, tan/bl...tan/bl...tan). when all three wires are disconnected the alarm stays off. When I connect two wires (OT sensor not being one of them) the alarm sounds. So, the alarm sounds when the OT sensor is removed...??? hmm. Also, sometimes I can get the alarm to shut off by triggering the trim switch...seems like a short somewhere...dang it!!!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If the alarm sounds when just the OT wire is removed then your trouble is the oil float sensor or that wire to it getting grounded. That sensor should only sound the alarm when the oil in the tank is getting to low, or the sensor is bad. JMO
Oldman570