Fuel pump

55ford

Cadet
I've read several threads on fuel pumps and I'm thinking mines bad. Bulb never gets hard, stays spongy, motor will start and idle forever, but once under load in the lake it dies after several minutes, I can pump it back up eventually, start it, idle, but after a couple minutes of moving on the lake it kills again. Fuel pump????????? Rebuild or get a new one????

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fuel pump

Fuel pump????????? Rebuild or get a new one????

It might be the fp. Definately rebuild with a diaphram/gasket kit.

Can you keep the motor going by pumping the primer bulb? That usually confirms it the FP.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Never pumps up hard could be the squeeze bulb malfunctioning, a hole in the diaphragm or valve leaking in the fuel pump, or the carb float needles not seating properly.

SWAG would be a leaking valve in the fuel pump. I redid mine on a 90 of the vintage recently and don't know if I got the "new style" kit or not. If your new parts don't look like the old, part for part, you probably have a new kit. Pay close attention to how you take it apart so that you can get the suck and blow valves in their correct position in the pump housing, and get them put together properly.

My pump has 3 arrows cast into the pump housing which is in 3 pieces as I recall, which are there to help you get it back together correctly. Maybe your's does too.

While the hoses are disconnected, look inside and if cracked or pieces flaking, replace. They will cause problems elsewhere.

Mark

55ford

Cadet

Thanx guys, I'm leading more towards fuel pump, it starts and runs great with the muffs on, once in the lake, good take off but it seems once the distance it should take to empty the carbs it dies. I ordered a pump kit, thanx for the heads up on working on it. Gary