1970 85 hp tell-tale

D Dees

Cadet
New to outboards but this forum is a life saver!

I have a 1970 85 hp Johnson (85ESL70B) and I want to put a tell-tale on it. I have seen on here about drilling and tapping into the water jacket around number one cylinder. My question is on the powerhead just past the headgasket on the starboard side there is a flat head screw that looks to me like it is already going into a water jacket. (its number 11 on the exploded view of powerhead group, called Plug,cylinder). Does anyone know if this screw is thread into a water jacket and if it does can I use it for my water line fitting?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ifitwasus

Cadet
Re: 1970 85 hp tell-tale

I have the exact same motor. If it would help any I can take a pic of my tell tale and send it to you.

ifitwasus

Cadet

OK I don't get off work until ten tonight, but I'll get you one first thing in the morning.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Easy way to tell, remove the plug and start it up on the hose, if water shoots out you have a source for your tell-tale.

phillnjack2

Ensign

would not be a good idea to have a tell tale comming from cylinder would it.
the tell tale is normaly from exhaustcooling area not the cylinder wall, that sounds like a daft idea.
it would mean that pressure in the area would straight away be far less and possibly stop the thermostat from working.

do it properly and drill the exhaust water cooling area like on much later engines.
or just the cylinder head,do not destroy engine block..........

be better off with a temp guage anyway, tell tale only means pump working not water getting round the block.

phill

Last edited:

D Dees

Cadet

Thanks. Was just wondering about the threaded fitting that was already there. Gonna do a temp gauge too!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There must be hundreds of these engines in maring salvage yards across the US. Why not just purchase a used outer exhaust cover from a later flatback model which already has the telltale hose barb installed? 1978 and later.