Transom and splash guard holes / grommets

SeanyMagic

Seaman Apprentice
You know the drain hole that passes through the transom? Also I have 2 holes in my splash guard, all 3 holes have some sort of metal grommet in them. I am in the process of ripping out my transom to replace it but I can't figure out how to get those grommets out, do they somehow un-screw from each other? Help needed please.

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom and splash guard holes / grommets

Mine were just one piece brass tube ( 7/8") with flare at each end....I just pinched the one side's flare in all around the tube perimeter with pliers and knocked it out tapping it with wide nailset....then pulling with pliers.....it was toast after that, but I will be replacing anyways.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you post pictures of these grommets?

SeanyMagic

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like mine match yours Dave. I thought they were 2 pcs screwed into each other because of how they round out. Thanks for the tip. I will indeed post a pic tomorrow to confirm.

SeanyMagic

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much man, something so simple and I couldn't find what they exactly were. I was Googling everything I could think of lol. Beautiful!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No problemo. When you're ready to put them in, let us know and we'll tell/show you how to do it.

On second thought - you can buy this tool - 1" Flanging Tool - Moeller 020700-00 - iboats

Or use the plastic threaded flange type - I can't find an example. :grumpy:

Or for the metal drain tube, use this alternative to a $40 tool. Been floating around iboats for years. Thanks Dale.

[URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/sv29n/media/Cheap%20boats/flaring_tool_240598x603.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited:

SeanyMagic

Seaman Apprentice

That's pretty dang innovative. Yet again these forums impress me.
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to trim the tube cuz they're usually too long. Also they come in brass or aluminum. And use plenty of 3M 5200 to seal it.