8 HP 4 stroke honda water in crank case oil

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have the year or SS# at the moment but its @ late 90's 8HP Honda 4 stroke motor by my estimate. I use it for a kicker motor for fishing.

Motor started acting up and died went back to check it and noticed milky oil coming out of cowling drain hole. I shut it down and went to launch.

Looked at it closer when I got home looks like there is no oil left in the crank case and there is milky oil all inside the cowling.

Planned on draining what is left of oil and adding new and running it in fresh water and see where it might be coming from.

Posted here for some advice on what I should do next and what to look for.

I am guessing it might be some head gasket or something to that affect that's gone bad in the cooling system. I am not sure off hand. I just want to get some clean oil in there since its been mixed with salt water to help protect the innards.

Ill post later with year and SS# and possible pics to help with diagnosis.

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 8 HP 4 stroke honda water in crank case oil

I couldn't find any SS# the plate seams to be missing. the model number is BF8A

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

Don't run it again. If you're experienced in engine service and HAVE A MANUAL go ahead and explore...Otherwise, I would take it in and have it looked at.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I am not going to have it taken and looked at. Just not worth it to spend 800 bucks to have it looked at when I can purchase another used motor for the same or less.

I have a manual on order.

Talked to a parts dealer today and they said it may be a stuck open thermostat creating condensation. Seems like a lot of water for a condensation issue.

Anyone have suggestions on where water can be getting in or areas to look when diagnosing this issue.

I have no issues doing this myself just never worked on a 4 stroke outboard ,worked on several different 2 stroke outboards.

I am posting this for someone to hopefully point me in direction of what to look for or how to check for possible points of entry.