14' Larivee restore

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
073.jpg071.jpg070.jpg069.jpg068.jpgwell I am at it again...Couldn't resist this old boat. She needs some work, but since the last restore was for my son, this one is momma's for inshore where I can't take my other. So when I first got her, the transom was completely rotten, including a stress crack(spider web) on the back skin. I cut out the inner skin, got the rotten wood out, and reinforced the outer skin from the inside with a couple of layers of 1708 after cutting out the stress crack area (will give that more attention from outside later). The skin was so very thin I felt I needed to beef it up before adding the actual wood. I PL'ed 2 pieces 5/8 plywood together, then cut out the exact transom & peanut butter in last wknd. The next day I did PB fillets with a wet layup of 2 layers of 1708 tabbing so the transom is done for now & will hold up to the stress of the rest of demolition of deck/stringers. As you can see in photos, this boat has/had 2 bench seats(they will be gone this wknd)(itching already!). Unlike our previous rebuild where we did not put bench seats, instead firming up sides & adding center console, this one I will be sticking with the bench seats. Looks as though they were framed out & plywood then glassed over. The rear seat is soft, even the glass. Was wondering if I could cut out somewhat intact & somehow use as a halfway mold of some sort. Front one is solid glass, but of course looking under it, the wood is rotten. Any thoughts on this fabrication would be appreciated. Woodonglass & Jigngrub had some helpful advice on last rebuild. Hoping to hear from you both. Sure trial & error could work, but too much experience here...foolish not to ask for help...P.S. I LOVE the lines of this boat!!! Love that bow cap that is in perfect shape(blue laying on it side in photo). So excited!!! (and itchy)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 14' Larivee restore

Wow...over 100 views & no suggestions? I am surprised. Had an idea last nite about these seats...What if I glass in a wood brace on each side of hull & then do a true bench seat across without taking it to the floor? Basically like what I used to have in an old Boston Whaler. It would leave nothing under the seats for water to rot & less framing. Any thoughts or suggestions???????????????????

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Could you just cut them out , clean out the rotten wood and glass more wood in ? Looks like they were used for storage . You could use them for a mold if you wanted to I guess . It would take quite a bit of material to make them strong enough to mount seats on .
Just thinking .. How about putting hinged lids for better access to storage .

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

I cut them & deck out of boat yesterday. I kept them intact. The wood was definitely bad & even some of the fiberglass was cracked and/or caving in. Gonna keep them as molds in case I need. Just trying to keep weight down in boat so I can add some layers on extremely thin hull..your suggestions are certainly a possibility. Thanks for reply sphelps...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Post pics of your demo work so far and tell us how far you intend to take the demo work, all the way to a bare hull? (I would)

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Hi jigngrub...yes sir, I will post pics tomorrow. Yesterday I removed both seats, floor(mulch), center stringer(also mulch, just wetter than aforementioned mulch). Need to remove that little deck up front but ran out of daylight & energy yesterday. 75% of boat is down to bare hull. I have never before seen such a paper-thin fiberglass hull. Going to set up under transom on blocks as that is the strongest part of the boat currently. She flexes like a beer can. I braced the sides across beam with 2" x 4" before I cut seats & floor out, but still the hull flexes on bunks of trailer. Got to get it up & mock up a 2' section of 3/4" ply across so I have something to kneel on to continue grinding without directly putting all my weight on hull. I plan to put some glass on it, but got to grind it first. Like walking on ice(& for the record I ain't no size 5!). More pics tomorrow.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should consider using the 2 part expanding urethane foam everywhere you can in that boat to stiffen it up. Under the decks, in the benches, and any place else you can fill a void.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Here are pics of current demo status. Jig-funny you suggest that...we have never worked with foam before but son & I have already been discussing its advantages & necessity in this case. Great advice..thank you!! The original "deck", & I use that term loosely, was very narrow. It only came off center stringer 12" to each side leaving another 12" of bare hull out to sidewalls. New deck will go from side to side (48"). There will be a small amount of bilge under deck perfect for foam. We, too, think it would be extremely cost effective & structurally smart to use foam. Need to get that forward deck out, which will take all of about 10 minutes, but more pressing issue is to construct firm, temporary kneeling deck & block up under transom so as not to torque hull while I continue demo & grinding. Don't know if you can appreciate the depth of the keel by pics, but that will also be a challenge to grind & prepare for center stringer. One step at a time...004.jpg001.jpg002.jpg

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 10

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'm stumped & hope some of you can help me solve this quandary...this boat has an extremely deep keel, especially in the front. As you can see, better part of 5" deep up front. Luckily, there isn't a ton of PB or resin clumped up down there that I need to use any exaggerated grinding, however, I must be able to prep for new stringer by some sanding/grinding. In addition, there is an area up front where it looks like it hit a roller or trailer crossbeam hard that I can see daylight through. Need to do a few layers in there before stringer placement. Then when I turn her I will glass this area from outside. My 4 1/2" grinder can't get in that tight crevice. Borrowed a 7" Minkota from a friend & that won't do much either. How can I efficiently clean/grind this area? Manually will prove to be an exhausting, prolonged task. Thoughts? Many thanks...007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Well I've been able to sand, wire wheel, pressure clean, dremel, you name it, I've done it to the deep keel. Just about ready to plan repair/strengthening this area. I would appreciate some advice on my options for making this part of the boat not so susceptible to future injury & compromise. I wanted to show photos of keel, especially toward bow for a couple reasons...the obvious is the most forward area that I can see thru..It has one super thin layer of 1708, actually resembles a window screen, leaks in places. This is about a 3" area that I will also repair from outside later, but want to repair from inside before stringer & deck placement. Reasonably, this will get a few layers of glass, but also notice the "daylight" area just toward stern from the damaged area in keel. I'm wondering if I should extend a layer or two of glass the full length of keel in addition to the repair up front? Also, would a thin layer of PB be harmful in any way in this area BEFORE stringer goes in just to thicken the keel? Everything fiberglass in this boat is SO thin. I just don't want it to be detrimental to performance in any way. Hope these pics help you see what I'm seeing. Took a couple from outside of damaged area as well as side view of keel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

No pro here but I'm thinking that some csm shredded up to make some very hairy PB filleted in first then a layer or two glassed in over that before wood install . Keel guard when all done should protect it from further damage ..

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty much what I was thinkin' to, sphelps. Thanks for your opinion. Hoping Woodonglass might give his opinion. We'll see what the pros come up with, but I think we're on the right path..

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

001.jpg001.jpg006.jpg003.jpgJust a quick update on the project. Stringer fab went easy this time. Guess I'm learning more each time. PL glued outer stringers to deck as had 3 days solid work at real job, so was in no hurry to cure. Did a few small tabs to keep in place while I worked on keel to ready for center stringer. As far as the keel damage, I started with some torn CSM(couple layers), then about a 6" piece of woven that fit perfectly into keel, followed by another layer of CSM(slightly bigger). I let that kick, then continued with a piece of 1708, followed by 2 layers CSM. Of course, I will give that area some attention from the outer hull too when I flip her. After that kicked, I reinforced the keel the rest of the way toward stern with a layer or two of torn CSM scraps, followed by a thin layer of PB, followed by last CSM tears. (sounds like a lot but the keel really needed some strength). This gave me not such a deep recess for center stringer which was laid into PB for quick set. Next two days involved tabbing(two layers) on each stringer, all the way across & out to sides. Middle stringer needs small area of tabbing up front but held off on this until mini bulkhead goes in at end of side stringers. That should go in tomorrow. Working on cleats in the garage for the center stringer too. Next project to fab the tiny bilge area in the back & finish the tabbing of stringers in rear 12"-15". Again, didn't go back all the way yet; silly until I finish bilge. No need to tab/glass just to grind off for more tab/glassing. I mentioned several posts ago how flimsy this hull was. I am a fully convinced woman now on how stringers, tabbing, & a couple layers of 1708 can change that. So much more sturdy already...even more, I'm sure when deck & its tabbing goes on. Also finished PB & tabbing on drain hole. Just need to drill it out when I get my drain. So there's where I'm at currently. Been missing a bunch of good fishing days here on one of my other boats. Guess that's the price you pay for dry dock. Cheers....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sam's rebuild on his MFG is here:
'64 MFG Rebuild

He documented his prep & paint work really well. There is also quite a bit about how he mixed up & decided what shade of custom blended paint he wanted to use. IMHO, he picked a perfect color.......

WOG's paint info is a great resource too:
"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

Good luck w/ your project.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

jb-thanks for the tip..although sam commented on this thread a few wks ago, I just last nite started looking at his thread. What a beauty. I am sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't know I had any choices with outer hull. I figured just gelcoat. I know my dad once used a "bottom paint" on his Chris Craft. I need some definite advice/options for this boat's final coatings. Also, never sprayed before(but know I can). Nervous for when I get to that stage, but very excited at the potential. Will continue going thru his thread. Thanks again jb...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Your glass work is looking good ! As far as paint goes it just depends on how your gunna use your boat and how much you want to spend . Gell coat is probably most durable but pretty tricky to apply. Decker and Trooper used gell on there hull so you might check there treads out also .

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Hi sp-thanks for the compliment...it is pouring here for the 3rd day in a row...been looking at your thread for last hour or so..on pg. 21. Yeah, this boat will be my inshore boat for both intracoastal(snook fishing) & canal/lake. I always thought gelcoat was only option. Haven't gotten to your outer hull paint just yet on your thread. You just flipped it so know its coming soon, so I will hold all questions until I get thru yours..curious how you prepped for paint. More updates soon..

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Spent the last couple of days going blind looking at so many threads about paint. SP-continued looking at yours, WOG-always love looking at your Flamingo, ezmob, jonson....the list is endless..So let's cut to the chase without me spending hours looking thru threads if you guys could help. I couldn't help notice some of the boats painted were anywhere from a year to 2 or 3 yrs ago. I know some of you used tractor/implement paint, some Valspar, some pettit...WOG-I'm confused what exactly you used as it said Valspar, yet you listed Magic tractor as another alternative, & I think you used bikini blue which is a pettit, & you also mentioned rustoleum. So what did you use & are you happy with it still? Same question for sp- I think you used a tractor paint-are you still happy with yours & what did you use? I think for mine, as with yours sp, gelcoat would be so labor-intensive with the lapstrake design. Think my final decision is paint...I just don't know which one. I went to Glue Products today to get some resin, 1708, & pourable foam. While there, I asked them about paint. When I mentioned a lot of guys were saying tractor paint he thought that was a bad choice, saying it would peel off under waterline.???? He offered a 2 part poly paint called Mothane. Anybody know of this & how it would differ from tractor paint. Priced reasonably. Still way to soon to paint, but beginning to get the itch, yeah I said itch, to at least explore my options. Thanks for chiming in. I will continue all your threads, but starting to see double...Yay it's the wknd!!!