confused about stalling issue

MSL0429

Cadet
Hi, I'm having an issue with my 2000 Johnson 40 hp, it keeps stalling when i shift from nuetral to forward and nuetral to reverse, and visa versa when i'm in the water, but it runs and shifts like a champ when im at home and have it running on just the muffs to flush it out. please help, this makes pulling into the dock/ ramp somewhat embarrasing.:facepalm:

Thanks, Matt

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: confused about stalling issue

Step 1, are all of the parts on the motor? Step 1 compression test. Step 3 spark test.

Check pulse hose from engine block to VRO pump. The hose rubs the end of the starter and wears a hole in the hose.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

When were the carbs cleaned last? I had the same issue that went away after I tore down the carbs and cleaned them really good.

What is your idle speed?

MSL0429

Cadet

Ok, I am not a mechanic so I am assuming that all the parts are on the motor. I pulled out the spark plugs and they looked pretty oily and and burned, the plugs were brand new two boat rides earlier, with that I called the shop that just did the tune up and asked him if it were possible for the VRO to be adding to much oil, and he sad yes and to check for air leaks in the fuel lines. So, after looking and turning as many fuel lines as I could i clamped or zip tied about four of them including the fuel line from the tank. I will take the boat for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes, I also picked up a can of Seafoam to add the the gas seeing that I need to fill up. Is there a conversion kit to eliminate the oil injection system so I can just mix my own?

Thanks for the suggestions

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What is your idle speed set at when in the water and in gear, it will idle at a different speed when on the hose than when in the water. Have you tried to adjust the low speed needles on the carbs, again in the water and in gear?
On some engines you could remove the VRO system and just bolt a regular fuel pump onto the block, others you had to make your own brackets. What is your model number?

Last edited:

MSL0429

Cadet

i cant say what my idle speed is in the water because it stalls. my engine # is J40PLSSM

Thanks again for the response, Matt

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

i cant say what my idle speed is in the water because it stalls. my engine # is J40PLSSM

Well then, what is your idle speed in the barrel or on muffs?

sentrysam

Recruit

I had this same problem ,after 3 different mech's could not find out why ,I noticed a fuel line was a little frayed at the clamp,so I removed the clamp ,cut of a 1/4 inch reinstalled and it ran great after that.seems I was loosing the vaccum and that was my problem ,now I'm forever looking at the little things ..good luck with yours