evinrude tilt tube

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys.
I finally have the old 1978, 70hp evinrude off the boat while i work on the structure.

I was going to strip the tilt trim pump and clean everything up.
the prob is i can't get the tilt tube out..

I removed the nut of each end and removed the grease nipples just in case.

i gave the whole lot a good spray with a release agent then gave it a good whack with a leather ended mallet. Nothing moved.
i even tilted the base up to help with moving the weight, but achieved nothing.

surely i haven't missed something.. or have i???

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude tilt tube

This sounds like a job for the "Blue Wrench". Heat, heat, heat. If you have it hanging on a hoist, this will take some pressure off of it.

Last edited:

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i didnt have a heat source so I used a big ring spanner over the tube then tried to tighten against that in the hope of forcing it out, all that did was cause a sharp pain in the elbow.

Since i didn't have internet till now, i decided to pull the plate off each side. 2 bolts came out and one snapped. no big drama with that. i can drill and re tap it if need be..

once that plate came off tho, one of the 3 wires into the tilt motor snapped. this unit was sooooooo not looked after that well. having said that, it runs like a dream.

what i didnt know and was going to ask is.. it makes a different noise when hit from one direction to the other. so i thought it might only come out one way?

phillnjack2

Ensign

Get a bigger hammer and realy wallop it.

what i done recently was disconnect the two outer brackets from the main centre bit, then put a long bar in each one
and started to move them independantly to see if it was the inner that was stuck or the outer.
once i started to get a bit of movement, i then took one of them off put 2 nuts on one end and beat the crap out of it to
get it shifting.
Now by having the 2 nuts nearly at the end meant i was able to just saw off i very small piece ( one thread) and then undo
the nuts etc, then clean the tube up or just buy a nice new stainless tube for it.

People dont think about giving these a little move about every couple of seasons at most.
If they did then it would be so easy to ever replace or clean these tubes.
by the time they think about them its a real paint to shift them..

good luck and dont forget....BIG Hammer

phill

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks mate. i have both sides off now.
the tube is still in one side but now only stuck in one of the side plates. i could move if i could use the bench vise but half the engine is hanging in that lol.

now i cant budge the pin that holds the top of the ram in place..

its kinda funny. they spend time keeping the engine itself looking good, but they neglect the rest of it.
the wires to the tilt pump had fallen apart and really surprised it didn't short out, as two of the wires were mainly bare and only holding on by a few strands.

phillnjack2

Ensign

well now you need a REALY BIG hammer for the tilt pin as well. (use a brass drift though)

its strange, we have alluminium based outboard engines that are so delicate.
yet to fix the buggers we need huge hammers and tons of elbow grease and determination.
its a case of just keep on struggling and belt the crap out of it.

now
the tilt tube your already doing is easy compared to the power trim tilt pin :eek:
yes its even tougher to shift this pin... :scared:

welcome to the world of getting realy stuck into these engines

Its Hammer time . :smash:

phill....:)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The brass drift is very important !! If you mushroom that pin you're really screwed. Again, heat, heat, heat.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i really should hunt down the previous owner and give him a good talking to (read, kick in the *****)
I now know that ppl will spend more time only focused on the running of the engine, and not on the engine as a whole.

I have 2 brass drifts somewhere here. just have to get into all the boxes.
Looks like the engine work is the hardest to do on a boat. Hell i have rebuilt vintage british bikes (3), re built the diesel in my toyota and numerous others. Tho the bmw and the evinrude are a *****. and i think most of it is down to being alloy. tho having said that, the ducati was alloy and not as bad as the evinrude or the bmw..

yeah will need to replace the tilt pump too. its all rusted. tho i will try to get it off and cleaned up and see what i can do with it.
will lay the engine down in the morning and beat it a few hundred times and see what happens.

thanks again and will let you know what happens

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

made quite an important discovery..
when you hit your hand with a 8 pound hammer. it makes you swear quite badly..

the pin is now shifting all be it slowly.

phillnjack2

Ensign

ah well
now that you have managed to excel yourself and clumped your hand with the BIGi Hammer,your obviously getting the
idea of how to repair an outboard engine.
Many people go through life trying to fix a boat engine without hitting their hand with a BIG hammer, this is what they
are all missing.
Its all a part of the training in outboard repairs, and realy should be in the secret files list at the top.
The bigger the hammer you smash your hand with, the shorter the apprenticeship to become a fully fledged marine bodgeneer.

plus you now can have the total enjoyment of sitting down at night looking at the hand and thinking,
"now thats a nice deep blue/purple colour i would like the engine to be".

glad to know the pin is on the move now, I did tell you its a bas**d to get the pin !!!!!

keep up the work and dont let the barbie go out

phill...

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ha, after stopping the engine from falling to the ground, my backs in no shape for a barbie lol.

My brass drift was a lil long and was bending in some cool kinda shapes so i cut it down.. too short, hence hitting the hand.. it feels soooooo good when you stop hitting the hand lol

2 valium in the last 2 hrs so im just kicking back and watching the telly for a few hrs then bed.

the pin started to move one way then stopped. so i turned it over and hit it back the other way, then it stopped.. grrrrr

phillnjack2

Ensign

sounds like you are becoming a true master in the art of hurting yourself.
this is also why a lot of older marine technicians have a bit of a stoop, its not the bending down in awkward places that causes it.
its the lifting and trying not to drop the outboards that cripples them.
what you need is a slave, dont matter if he is thick and clumsy neither as long as he can take plenty of pain.
then instead of just belting your hand and jumping around with it tucked between your leg's, you hit the slave with the
hammer so atleast your not the only one in pain and it WILL stop him laughing as well.
plus you can blame him for not holding the engine still.

now tomorrow you can see what other damage you can do to yourself and get that pin OUT.

good luck

phill...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Keep working the pin back and forth. And as I said before, heat would really help.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha stop ya ba$tard it hurts when i laugh... :)
ty boobie getting the heat on it in a day or two..

Last edited:

phillnjack2

Ensign

we need an update of what damage you have done to yourself today!!!!!!!!
and progress on the pin and tube

phill

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

injuries today and yesterday are not boat related. cuts on hands from felling a tree. found the cuts again at dinner squashing a lemon on my chips lol .

as far as the tilt tube goes, i need to get a new drift in the morning.

i am just stuck with the engine because i cant get the trim pump out till i get the pin out due to not having enough room to swing the hammer and put pressure on the screw at the same time. did get two undone tho :)

the problem now is...
i am working on the transom, the engine and cutting up the felled tree at the same time.

worst of all my best mates girlfriend now wants me to have the boat ready for use come mid October. cheeky cow lol

backs is still stuffed tho.. i don't know how people steal them... they must go prepared lol

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Keep at it and let us now what goes. Good Luck.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Brace ya self..

YA know when your working on something and you think, "hmmm , something just aint right"?
after cleaning a few tool and the drift. it turns out it was copper not brass lol (hides in shame)

what was worse is out of all the places that were open today (sat), only one knew what i was looking for or what a brass drift was :|
and of course the places that have it are closed.. so monday it will be..

just a lil off topic but kinda funny..

its now 5:55pm..
About 2 hrs ago i was working on the 750w yanmar jen set.
it wouldn't start, so as per, well, me being me, i decided to spray, well im not sure what it was i was spraying down the carby, but it was running..
not well but running and real smokey.. Well.. we have a family of "brethren" next door, not exclusive brethren but brethren just the same and real nice people. well smoke was real thick coming out of the shed. one of them came over the fence while another two, husband and wife came running with extinguishers. i can still hear them laughing and making jokes about it now lol.

well now i have to wait till monday to get the drift. so i will let you know if this pin comes out. might take it to a fitter and turner and get one turned out of stainless..

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IT'S OUT!!!!!!!

Why on Gods green earth do the morons who make outboards INSIST on using steel in a marine environment..
for a extra few $$$ USE STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!!!

now going to ring round and see if i can get someone to turn it out of stainless for me.. oh does ANYONE know what the original
specs are of this stupid ram pin??? after all, i do need to give the fitter some numbers, and this pin is to pitted up to get good readings ANYWHERE!!..

ok a lil edit. i think i saw a pin from omc in stainless.. so i will order one.
the trim pump motor is what one would call "rooted"
the thickest part of the motor is 5mm,. the worst part is a rust hole :|

Last edited: