canvas compartment opening covers

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I built my boat and I have 4 storage areas that have vertical openings to the boat cockpit. One is under the console, one is on the front bulkhead and 2 are in the aft bulkhead on either side of the motorwell. <br /><br />Here are some pics of the boat interior...<br /> Interior pics <br /><br />What I am thinking of doing is making some water repellent canvas (or some other material) covers for these openings. I can visualize what I am thinking of and I will try to explain it.<br /><br />- Simple rectangular waterproof material for each opening<br />- Attached to the boat at the top of the opening with some kind of thing that permanently secures it to the boat while providing a water channel that will direct water running down the face of the boat surfact to be redirected to the sides of the opening<br />- snap connectors to secure the cover to the bottom of the opening. <br /><br />My questions:<br /><br />- Is this a good idea?<br />- What type of material can be used? Where can I get it?<br />- What kind of hardward can be used? Where can I get it?<br />- Is this a do it yourself job or would I be better off having these made at a local canvas shop?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: canvas compartment opening covers

The canvas should be easy enough to cut and sew. I figure...cut about 2" wider and 2" taller than opening...fold edges 1" in and sew inplace (might need a low temp iron to flatten first) I would practice with some cheap stuff from Jo Ann fabrics and once you get the desired result get sunbrella, sharkskin or even marine vinyl (only $6.99/per linear yard 54" wide). <br /><br />So you want a lip that goes across the top of the opening...how wide/tall are the openings? Does color matter? Cheap way...get some 1" wide molding from home depot (just the rounded stuff..nothing fancy) and seal it with epoxy and/or paint.<br /><br />Snaps...hmm. Wanna try someting alittle fancier? Sew into the 1" fold some magnets...mount metal plates flush where they will be "attach".<br /><br />D@mn I spend too much time at work thinking aobut boats...<br /><br />-JustMrWill

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Been pondering this some more...for "upper lip" you could just roll the vinyl up to desired thickness and use 3M 5200 to secure/seal it to top of opening.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

BillP

Captain

They make an aluminum round track that is slotted on one side for a fabric boltrope to slide in. A boltrope is basically a piece of rope sewn along the edges. Fold the fabric over the rope and sew closed. Then it slides in and out of the track. The track is screwed to the boat at the top of the opening and gives a waterproof seal. Awning and canvas shops have it.<br /><br />Another easy way is to make a flat fabric panel that fits over the area. Then take a piece of wood (1-1/2" x 3/4" or whatever) and clamp the top of the fabric against the boat like a gasket. Caulk before installation. Bevel the top of the wood so water won't sit on top and start rot or help leaks happen. Then use "common sense" type turn fasteners along the fabric sides and bottom edges.