honda bf9.9 (90's ish), water leaking from lower powerhead in engine cavity

hi i have a 90's ish honda motor (bf 9.9 longshaft) and it recently might of overheated and i flushed the coolant system with compressed air as well as low pressure water, then i removed the lower unit and found that the pump housing was partially deformed due to excessive heat...so i had to get a rebuild kit. Also i did remove the plate underneath the pump housing and removed the impeller chunks from there. once i re-assembled the motor it seemed to run perfectly fine but i noticed that while you run the motor the lower powerhead will squirt out water and possibly exaust as well and it fills up amazingly fast :facepalm: . could it just be a blown gasket....or should i get ready to spend some money? :confused:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: honda bf9.9 (90's ish), water leaking from lower powerhead in engine cavity

Welcome to Iboats,

You seem to be having lower powerhead gasket issues, being such an oldie expect to be worn, dried out, cracket. Remove power head, clean well all mating metal surfaces, buy a new gasket, light coat both gasket sides with gray silicone and torque tight with wrench, let dry 24 hours and test. Take advantage to apply a light grease coat on upper drive shaft before sitting powerhead...

Happy Boating

Last edited: