502 engine removal

Drillsgt

Recruit
I have a 1996 502 that has locked up on me. I can't break it free so I am attempting to remove the engine and get a new long block. I have everything removed from the engine except the flywheel cover or transmission. I have seloc online manual and cant find where it says to disconnect the engine from the drive. My question is- Can I remove the flywheel cover and the motor mounts then lift the engine out or do I have to do something else? I know it has to be in forward to remove, but unsure about what to disconnect in regards to the drive.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 502 engine removal

Where are you from. Big blocks are my favorite to work on and build. Welcome.

Drillsgt

Recruit

You remove the outdrive first. remove the rear 2 bolts, the 4 front bolts/lag screws and lift straight up and out. What type of drive is it. This link for Bravo
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11covr5x.pdf

I'm trying to do this while the boat is in the water. I have been told by other mechanics that they can remove the engine while the boat is still in the water.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Ah, there not mechanics then, there is no way to verify engine elignment and this will result in loss of the coupler requiring you to pull the boat, pull the drive ,and pull the motor AGAIN.