Volvo Penta 5.7 power steering

Art Garland

Recruit
I have a 2006 Rinker 250 with Volvo Penta 5.7 gas engine. My power steering is very hard and operates easier with engine off. I topped up fluid, bled the lines with no change in operation. I'm now looking at replacing pump but it's difficult and my last option. Does anyone have a similar problem with rinker and Volvo engine or am I replacing pump?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 power steering

I have a 2006 Rinker 250 with Volvo Penta 5.7 gas engine. My power steering is very hard and operates easier with engine off. I topped up fluid, bled the lines with no change in operation. I'm now looking at replacing pump but it's difficult and my last option. Does anyone have a similar problem with rinker and Volvo engine or am I replacing pump?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Before ya go replacin' stuff,.... Do some Testin',....

Disconnect the end of the cable from the P/S actuator, 'n see if things move Easier,...

The cables have a tendency to corrode inside the aluminum tube at the transom,...
It's worth Checkin',...

Up at the top of this forum you'll find the Adults Only section,...
Follow the links to the manuals for yer P/S unit, 'n Testin' procedures oughta be in 'em,...

Jason craft

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 power steering

Same thing happened to me over the weekend. I've got a 93 Wellcraft 4.3L with Volvo penta SternDrive. I was driving WOT for a couple of minutes to check out some new props. Then I lost power steering and it just wanted to keep pulling hard left. It took serious strength to turn the opposite direction. With engine off it turns just fine. Fluids fine. I'm figuring the pump couldn't take the RPMs. Help