Do you fix or update things on your boat before they break or wait until after?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am just had a battery fail on my Starcraft I was lucky two years ago I added Dual Batteries and a dual bank charger.
I am taking a bit of time and replacing some of the things that had not failed but just might at the wrong moment.
Some things I was looking at.
1) New battery Cables replacement batter for the dead one
2) new hoses on mercrusier 5.7

These had not failed BUT I know they cant last for ever

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do you fix or update things on your boat before they break or wait until after?

Its called preventetive maintenance, it stops you from being towed home, or stranded, or a long slow trip using the kicker,or worse,leave it to your imagination.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do you fix or update things on your boat before they break or wait until after?

that's why it's important to keep a crystal ball in the tool box.

there are maintenance items, such as impellers, that need to be replaced at intervals and before they fail, especially things where failure can be huge problems. There are small items, easy to carry and fix at sea, that either will need replacing (water seperator) or are likely to fail (fuse, bulbs) that you keep aboard (with the tools for them). If you loose confidence in an important component such as a bilge pump with 15 years ofsaltwater use, then maybe add that to the spring start-up list.

But you can't go around replacing all the light bulbs--or gas line bulbs, fuel pumps, wiring harness, ignition switch--just becuase they have a chance of failing. Indeed, most electrical issues arise at failed connections or problems in the wiring line, at least with us salties.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely. I hate being stranded and I like having a boat that's in proper working order. I also like having a boat that displays obvious signs of pride of ownership. I also carry tools and maintenance materials on board and routinely repair/maintain little things as I spot while hanging out on the hook.

shrew

Lieutenant

Ideally, I'd prefer to replace before things fail. Obviously we have little control over when something fails, but if we inspect thoroughly, we should get some hints.

Battery Cables: Are the ring connectors corroded, or loose? (Replace connectors). If when replacing the connector, do we see corrosion on the copper strands? (try to cut back). Is the corrosion on the copper strands extensive, or do I not have enough length to cut back? (replace the entire cable).

Hoses: Inspect regularly. If the hoses show signs of cracking or feel overly stiff or brittle, then replace them.

hose clamps: replace when they start to show signs of corrosion

Belts, plugs wires, oil, lube should all be getting replaced on a regular basis anyway. spare belts are always helpful, as are a few spare hose clamps.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta say I'm much more of a if it aint broke don't fix it kind of guy.

I do try to stay in tune with the boat. Things like batteries don't fail all at once, the slowly decline. Listen, watch, and feel.

Disclaimer: this advice doesn't work with impellers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The key part of "PMs" is the preventative part. If things are going to fail eventually (like hoses, belts, impellers, etc.) its foolhearty to wait till they do. Batteries NEVER fail unless someone leaves the light on....LOL. Off season I charge them monthly. After 30 days idle the voltage left will tell you whether they will last another year or not. Before I pull out of the driveway I check the voltage. Again, that tells me if I have a problem.

My buddy is of the "wait till it breaks" kinda guy. He's the one that gets towed in all the time.

I've been towed exactly once in my life. That day the main and kicker both failed at the same time. The main was tuned the day before and one of the new tuneup parts was defective. The kicker's part that broke was one that was not a wear item and should have lasted the life of the boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I work in an industry where system failure is not an option. Preventative maintenance is a daily routine. Consumables (belts, hoses, etc.) are changed on a periodic schedules as dictated by MTBF studies. Nothing is left to chance.

I'm the same with my boat. 30 miles offshore with a storm brewing on the horizon isn't the time for a fuel line to burst because it hasn't been changed in 15 years. There isn't a component on the boat that I can't tell you when the last time the parts was replaced or PM was performed. Pretty anal about it. I trust my life that it's going to work when worst comes to worst. I wouldn't leave the dock if I didn't.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I do zero PM--- it is done with an open checkbook at the marina. It is suggested the impellor be changed every 2 years-- I have a new water pump kit installed every year as just one of many items to stay ahead on. If your car breaks down you can get out and walk-- not so with the boat. Just in case-- I have a Tow Boat membership too.

agallant80

Commander

I can't really say that I change out much with out good reason. I tend to inspect things before I replace them. I will do the impeller every other year nomatter what.