Removing 1988 85hp for resto

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey all,
So I'm planning on removing the motor from the boat this weekend and setting it on a stand I'm building. (Getting at the transom). Never done this before and figuring it out as I go with the help of iboats. From my research, the lifting point on this motor is at the flywheel, the 3 screws surrounding the nut in the center... Is this correct? If so, any one guide me as to what I can use here? Looks like some fabrication is required and I'd like to make it easy and quick. Any pointers?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Removing 1988 85hp for resto

There are lifting bolts that screw onto the top of the crankshaft.

I swapped motors on mine without any such equipment. I disconnected everything, cranked the trailer jack all the way down, put blocking under the skeg, removed the motor mounting bolts and loosened the clamps, and cranked the trailer jack up. I then laid the motor on its side in a wagon (Radio Flyer!) and took it to the stand I built. Pivoted it up and onto the stand, tightened the clamp. Having a helper crank the trailer jack while you steady the motor would help prevent, say, the motor falling ff by itself and cracking the cowl a little. :redface:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it! Thanks!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Success!! Thanks all as usual!
null-16.jpg