tilt&trim leaking johnson 140

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi everyone its me again my j140tlcte tilt&trim leaks down there are no fluid leaks has been filled it raises up and down pretty good at top of trim some times just when tilt starts it will stay while im trolling and even if i stop and fish.:confused:thank you for any ideals.:joyous:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt&trim leaking johnson 140

I'm sorry, I just don't understand your post.

tblshur

thanks Boobie for your quick reply sorry im not good at explaining things my t&t will leak down from full up position very slowly to full down position, however sometimes if i stop raising right at full trim just when the tilt cylinder picks it off the trim pistons it will hold that position until i raise or lower position again. no fluid leaks .also how do you drain fluid to change it im 3rd owner and have just added fluid when i got boat. thanks for your help.

RRitt

Captain

thanks Boobie for your quick reply sorry im not good at explaining things my t&t will leak down from full up position very slowly to full down position, however sometimes if i stop raising right at full trim just when the tilt cylinder picks it off the trim pistons it will hold that position until i raise or lower position again. no fluid leaks .also how do you drain fluid to change it im 3rd owner and have just added fluid when i got boat. thanks for your help.

I bet check valve in the hydraulic pump.
when all three rams are engaged it takes a lot less pressure to hold position. Your check valve no longer holds high pressure but is barely able to hold lower pressures under just the right circumstances.

tblshur

thank you vcery much for your quick reply.is the check valve rebuildable ,is it a repair imight do,would you have to drain fluid.sorry for so many questions .would it be expensive.thanks again for your help:joyous:

tblshur

sorry if ive asked too many questions or the wrong ones thank you for all your help.

RRitt

Captain

thank you vcery much for your quick reply.is the check valve rebuildable ,is it a repair imight do,would you have to drain fluid.sorry for so many questions .would it be expensive.thanks again for your help:joyous:

i don't know. I don't even know what century your engine was built and I never track down other peoples engines for them. try going to crowlet marine, ishop marine, or boats dot net. They all have good online parts diagrams where you can look up and order the check valve. A shop manual is also a handy dandy thing to have since it will probably give you a specific test for your specific engine.

Last edited:

tblshur

RRitt ,i sorry if i upset you i have one of those cds and it indicated my pistons needed rebuilt i realy didnt think so because the motor raise pretty good. anyway i looked at ********** they show pump relief valve pt#122759 under the pump motor $30.my enjine is 1983 johnson 140hp thank you for your help very much

RRitt

Captain

outboard manufacturers usually have four or five trim systems that they use across hundreds of outboards. Sometimes part numbers give the impression of many different types when it is really just a different color paint. It's a real PITA trying to figure out which trim they chose for any particular engine. In some cases, such as Calco v Prestolite, it seems almost as if the installed one type on Mondays and another on Tuesdays. A picture is always best.

tblshur

sorry i dont know how to post picture on here ,but ill get my son to show me,then ill repost. thanks again for your help.