Converting a 19' Rhodes into a diesel powered Launch

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3K83Gd3qc5r45E25s9d684c46d174293b110d.jpgIMAG0675.jpgIMAG0681.jpgIMAG0697.jpgIMAG0711.jpgOk-
So I'm in the proccess of converting a 19' Rhodes sailboat into a diesel powered Launch. I thought I would share my build to anyone here that might be interested in doing some sort of custom build. It started as a old 19' Rhodes sailboat with a foldable keel and a 10 hp Ducati Marine diesel engine mated to a Hurth gear that I had laying around. I stripped the hull down, and cut out the center board and all the keel components. The seats are molded in and they have been removed also. I also removed 5' of the forward cabin area to open up the floor space and to accomodate the forward bench seating. I had to build a custom keel that would accomadate the prop shaft tube. Since this hull will only be doing 12-16 knots, the keel will help with the steering/tracking at these speeds. I removed all the old flooring and the rotten floor support spars. After the proper engine angle was established, I built engine beds, and new floor spars, and tied them all together with epoxy and glass. At this point, engine is installed, prop shaft is installed, and the rudder is installed. I just built the floor out of 3/4 marine doug fir plywood. I ripped the sheets down to 4" strips, stained them with a Bombay Mohagany stain, then they were sealed using a 2 part epoxy with a uv additive. I just got done building the engine cover, and the rear seating. Due to the rediculous amount of rain that we have had down here in Pensacola my progress has slowed a bit. Will post pics as soon as I can make them upload.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Converting a 19' Rhodes into a diesel powered Launch

Excellent looking conversion! Thanks for sharing...
I'd like to come aboard and see how it turns out.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'll tag along,........

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

more picsIMAG0013.jpgIMAG0014.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dog Box- Hush Box- or just IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0003.jpgGood Ole Engine Cover

Ned L

Commander

Very nice conversion! I think you will have a real nice launch when you are done, (great idea for a re-use). ---

I will have to say that I don't think you will see anything like 12 - 16 knots out of her though. That Rhodes hull is strictly a displacement hull and you will only be able to get hull speed out of her (more like 6-7 knots if you really push it).

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sea Trial Update-

Well loaded up the boat, 12 gal of fuel, 5 of my best friends, and went to the boat ramp. Running at 2800 rpm with 6 people we ran 12 knots with very little water disturbance- no wake, slight churn from prop- WOO-HOO!!!!! At wot (3100 rpm) ran 14.7 knots- severe water churn from prop, good size wake, and basically bulldozing the water. I would say that the most effecient rpm/speed was 2600-2800 rpm, and 10-12 knots. Also ran the boat solo, just me and noticed very similar results. It would appear that due to the hull design and the modifications I did to the keel design that the boat handle close to expectation. Its amazing how the hull displacement is effortless thru the water to a certain critical point, and if pushed a bit farther becomes very un productive to say the least. Now im back to working on the cosmetic's of the boat, wood trim, topside paint, etc.IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0061.jpg

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congrats on a successful sea trial!

pckeen

Commander

Very nice! Looks great with those colors. How did you apply the paint?

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was trying to attain a more vintage look. So I chose the colors and applied them using a fine brush. Then I tipped the paint to give it a decent finish. I didnt want a perfect glass finish, because I'm trying to make the boat appear as a used vintage boat.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just finished reading your conversion thread...
I can now fully appreciate the scope of your incredible talent...
With this launch, that conversion and the untold other projects you have done, you are an inspiration to us backyard boat hacks.
The paint job on the launch looks fantastic and I especially like that you went after a vintage look, very nice indeed.
Again, Thanks for sharing and I'll be looking forward to any more of your boat projects.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nicely done... I am no boat engineer, but I, too, was curious about "placement hull" vs. "planing hull" and how the boat might perform.

Sounds like she will push along nicely without much fight at a decent cruising speed. What a cool looking boat!

P.S. I know you have to make room for the prop shaft and rudder but is there any way to extend that trailer or customize it for some additional length under the stern?

Last edited:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pmccraney-
The trailer fits it pretty well for now. Center weight is 2/3 forward. Engine is just forward the axle, and tongue weight is approx 250lb at the hitch. It pulls nice at 70-75 mph. I am taking this boat on a small intercoastal cruise in a cpl weeks. While Im gone, trailer is getting new bunks and a prop guard welded on the trailer much like a inboard ski boat trailer, then paint. Boat should sit a bit higher and approx 1' forward it current location.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

.....and a prop guard welded on the trailer much like a inboard ski boat trailer, then paint. Boat should sit a bit higher and approx 1' forward it current location.

That's exactly what I was envisioning when I made that suggestion... My neighbor has a an inboard wake boat and his trailer extension (prop guard) made me think that might be something good for this boat... Great minds think alike. :)

Very Cool!!! This thread doesn't do this boat justice. I watched your you tube clip. Very nice work.

Last edited:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the "thumbs up" Greg. I must say, that when I started this build, I truly went by the seat of my pants. I had an idea of what I wanted, but after it started coming together I myself was tuly amazed at the final product. The coolest thing of the whole conversion- It took less than 60 days to complete. I work 40+ hrs per week, so I can only tinker on the weekends. Then we had a wet spell down here so that slowed things down a bit also.

Last edited:

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First part of your video I'm thinking "Hey, that's a good cruising speed." Then you turn the camera and there's practically no wake. I know nothing about sailboats, so is this normal?