Wiring distribution/fuse panel for rewire project?

TrikeFreak

Cadet
Hello to all, first time boat owner, and been reading all the information I can on this forum.

I bought a 1988 VIP fish/ski with force 125. Learning everything the hard way, and I'm sure I'll pick your brains more as time allows. Right now, I'm looking to rewire stuff, just too many wires garbled up and might as well do it right the first time.

I'm thinking it would be a lot cleaner if I had a distribution block, maybe even fused, where everything goes for each battery and is clearly marked and easy to access. Has anyone done something like this before, or have a better idea? I'm having a tough time finding something that I can run +/- wires from the battery, and then wire all my accessories to it. I was thinking it would be cool if it had fuses for each connection, but maybe I'm wishing for too much?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Wiring distribution/fuse panel for rewire project?

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

It is standard practice to use a fuse block to organize the "explosion in a spaghetti factory" that can result when wiring is done haphazardly. Many fuse blocks also include an integrated negative bus bar. Look here to start your shopping: Marine Fuse Blocks - iboats

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved to Electrical section. Welcome aboard!

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weclome aboard. It sound like your on the right track. I boats has all kinds of fuse blocks. See post above for the page. Good luck with the job.

UncleWillie

Captain

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

It is standard practice to use a fuse block to organize the "explosion in a spaghetti factory" that can result when wiring is done haphazardly. Many fuse blocks also include an integrated negative bus bar. Look here to start your shopping: Marine Fuse Blocks - iboats

+1
Plan for the future, extra/spare positions will come in handy as you add equipment.
Don't short yourself. Fuse Blocks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is one concept:

Here is another with more detail:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip, I love your diagrams. Not sure if you are making them, or getting from somewhere else. But I like them.

One option which I use, is to connect the gauge lights to the "+12v from ignition switch", as I like the gauges lit when running, even if not at night.

Will probably do the same on my current project, but run the +12v through a separate switch, then to the gauges, so I can selectively turn them on/off when night fishing.

TrikeFreak

Cadet

Here is one concept:

Thanks, that's exactly like the version I ordered yesterday. It took your folks' suggestions to help me know the right description for these panels. I've got me work cut out for me, but I'll take baby-steps and get this figured out with your help. I'm thinking I'll get this mounted, and then rewire one thing at a time, until I can get this bird's nest figured out.

I'll be taking it out for the second time this weekend, and will probably start asking some questions about taking on water and fixing the plumbing (I'll try to find the correct area for that discussion :rolleyes:)

TrikeFreak

Cadet

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I got the spare battery wired to a distribution panel, and got 2 fish finders working properly. Now I'll pull one item at a time and wire them properly as time allows. Can't wait to get everything working properly on the electrical side, might even throw another battery in there for more accessories as the rebuild transforms.