mercruiser 898 loss wot

trisonic1980

Recruit
I have had issues last few weeks with the fuel system. First I replaced the fuel/ water filter and bracket. Went out in boat and noticed instead of 4200 rpm were down too 3800 at wot. Then ran out of fuel and switch to second tank and fuel not pumping to filter. Replaced all fuel lines in boat. Replaced fuel pump. still not pumping. check filter was bad so replaced it again. boat fired right up. lake tested yesterday. still loss of wot. I replaced filter with a walmart brand since boat parts are always mail order where I live. Do y'all think the aftermarket fuel/water filter is staving the engine of fuel? also had the points cleaned before lost of wot by a mechanic. could that cause lost of wot?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 898 loss wot

Welcome to the forum

Walmart doesn't make filters and odds are it may not be the best, but it shouldn't be causing your problem. Sounds like loss of fuel do to crud in the tank. You replaced the fuel/water seperator filter and after one tank the filter was clogged again. If I understand you correctly I believe you should have your tank cleaned out.

Bondo

Staff member

I have had issues last few weeks with the fuel system. First I replaced the fuel/ water filter and bracket. Went out in boat and noticed instead of 4200 rpm were down too 3800 at wot. Then ran out of fuel and switch to second tank and fuel not pumping to filter. Replaced all fuel lines in boat. Replaced fuel pump. still not pumping. check filter was bad so replaced it again. boat fired right up. lake tested yesterday. still loss of wot. I replaced filter with a walmart brand since boat parts are always mail order where I live. Do y'all think the aftermarket fuel/water filter is staving the engine of fuel? also had the points cleaned before lost of wot by a mechanic. could that cause lost of wot?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd sooner think some of that crap in the filter, made it to the Carb,...

trisonic1980

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I have two tanks so think the tank not the issue. Points were redone when engine was down so would the timing be a issue? Runs strong just not as fast. Jumps out the hole pull three people on tube no issues there just lost wot.

trisonic1980

Recruit

Also fuel filter is Attwood marine brand tall can. More thinking timing off or carb. But runs strong. Just lost wot