what is the best color to repaint an outdrive

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class
having my out drive resealed ,,,im thinking that i have some good zinc primer ,,,,,,,what is the best finnish color and why ....

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what is the best color to repaint an outdrive

What's commonly accepted as 'best' is the color:<br /><br />In 'depth' of gloss, the quality, and even the thickness of material like it originally had from the factory. <br /><br />That way, <br />you won't have to re-do it next year because the finish trashed out, it doesn't look out of place according to 'what color they have always been painted', or look like something you did in the back yard with the 2 or 3 spray cans you had left over from a previous project.

Ralph 123

Captain

overview of painting an I/O from Mercstuff<br /><br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/painting.htm <br /><br />
Painting an Outdrive<br /><br />This can be a simple project, with so-so results, or complex with great results or something in between. I have a lot of technical knowledge about coating metals, but won't bore you with all that. Here is what I would do:<br /><br />1. Prepare the chipped spots with a small tool (I like a small sanding wheel on a Dremel tool). Make sure you clean any pits to the bottom of their depth. You may need to use a Dremel tip grinder to do this... but failure to clean pits all the way down will ensure their return. Feather to the existing coating surface. Leave the exposed metal surfaces "sandpaper rough" to aid paint adhesion.<br /><br />2. Use a paint dulling compound (available at paint stores, etc) on all remaining painted surfaces. Use fine steel wool to rub this in and very finely scratch the surfaces. Once finished, use a very dilute ammonia solution to wash the entire unit, then rinse thoroughly with water and wipe dry with clean cotton rags.<br /><br />3. Use "metal prep" (like an iron phosphate or zinc phosphate solution... zinc is best if you can find it) on any bare metal spots. Metal prep is an acid, so be careful. Dob it on exposed metal spots (only) and allow it to air dry very slowly to build its crystalline structure (microscopic) on the surface. Do not wash.<br /><br />4. Once everything is clean and dry, spray the entire unit with a good quality zinc-rich primer. I would do two coats on two successive days, if possible.<br /><br />5. Top coat with a high quality enamel or better yet, Dupont Imron polyurethane enamel. I would do two coats of this as well.<br /><br />That's it. The toughest decision is how much stuff to take apart to get at the components. I'll leave that to your judgment. The most important thing is this: paint only sticks well to very clean, very dull surfaces. Good luck!<br /><br />

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would say the "Best" color would be the original for the make...I noticed at boaters world they had like 12 different colors... Like Johnson white...OMC Charcoal..etc...they also sell Zinc Chromate and Zinc Phosphate primers...not sure which os better etc..<br /><br />Just my $.02<br /><br />-JustMrWill<br /><br />Here's a link to iBoats store...<br /> Paints

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I found that the Johnson White I bought at the local Johnson dealer was not very close to the white on the rest of the engine. It was much more of a "cream" color. I could have gotten a closer match with regular spray enamel colors (the OEM paint is nothing more than pretty much garden variety spray enamel). Check that out before you invest in too many cans of the OEM paint. It might be worth testing the OEM paint - if it's close enough, you're good to go. If not, for a few bucks you could test a few stock colors to get a closer match.

crab bait

Captain

DUHHH,, it's a no brainer.. <br /><br />desert sand micca /rose dew outboard color..<br /><br />WHAT ELSE..??

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

An offensively bright colour so the moron behind you while you're towing can see it?Fluorescent prop-bags are too often below someone's line-of-sight if they are tailgating you. Makes it a lot easier for the police to ID your boat from a distance if it's stolen too-specially if they see it on the freeway or in the water. Hell, it's not like you have to stare at it all the time when you're out on her. :D <br /><br /> :D Please bear in mind that I am slightly odd... :D