2001 5.7 L EFI.

team shadow

Seaman
Not trying to steal this but I am having similar issue so maybe this will be the same problem.

I am having the same issue with a 2001 5.7 L EFI. Yesterday it was tough to start, but ran for 5 minutes ok, then then I turned it off and then another tough start and then it ran for about a minute then shut down. I have replaced the coil and coil wire to the cap and the distributor cap, rotor and the sensor inside. I can hear the fuel pump kick on but still no spark.

In you previous thread you indicated that this was a salt water engine which sat for over a year and you took it on as a project. Also you had it out and water was spraying everywhere. Did you replace the engine with a new one? Have you run through the TB5 troubleshooting sequence yet?

View attachment 207439

team shadow

Seaman
Re: 1997 5.7L Merc EFI turns over but no spark. HELP!

When I replaced sensor in distributor there was 3 wires, red white, green white and black, the original only had 2 wires, Merc instructions said it was an accessory wire, so I was thinking something for an electronic gauge or something. Ended up it was a ground and that was all that was needed. So my original problem was the sensor and hooking up the ground completed the repair.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2001 5.7 L EFI.

Not trying to steal this but I am having similar issue so maybe this will be the same problem.

I am having the same issue with a 2001 5.7 L EFI. Yesterday it was tough to start, but ran for 5 minutes ok, then then I turned it off and then another tough start and then it ran for about a minute then shut down. I have replaced the coil and coil wire to the cap and the distributor cap, rotor and the sensor inside. I can hear the fuel pump kick on but still no spark.

Ayuh,.... 'n now yer Not stealin' that thread, But, have a thread of yer Own,....

Good luck,...

Fun Times

Staff member

When I replaced sensor in distributor there was 3 wires, red white, green white and black, the original only had 2 wires, Merc instructions said it was an accessory wire, so I was thinking something for an electronic gauge or something. Ended up it was a ground and that was all that was needed. So my original problem was the sensor and hooking up the ground completed the repair.
Sounds like you have her running good, Thanks for the update, Happy boating.:)