Tricky engine installment

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just removed a 1983 305/5L MCM228R engine form my boat. It was a little tricky since there is about a 1.5 foot fiberglass overhang over the engine that is one piece with the boat and not removeable. I got it out by sliding it forward and then lifting it out. I'm afraid re-installing it may not be so easy since I will have to slide it back. I could try and put a come-along through the transom bellows and attempt to slide it back that way or I could just get my circular saw and cut out the overhang over the motor - not something I really want to do. Are there any tricks to getting this motor back in. I'm also anticipating a very difficult time lining up the mounting bolts precisely where they were.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Tricky engine installment

i've pulled my engine twice now. both times i used my neighbors engine leveler to help with removal and installation. don't know if it'll help in your situation but thought it'd be worth mentioning.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm afraid this won't be much help. It sounds like that is a tougher job than on my boat. I have a aluminum starcraft, and the area over the engine is easily removed. With that out of the way it becomes a pretty simple operation. There must be a way to do what you are doing; what do the pros do? Keep looking, and good luck.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Use a 'spreader bar' and not a 2 leg lifting chain. My boat also has a large transom deck and I have to do the same. I also push the rubber tubes on the exhaust Y-pipe down so the top of them is level with the Y-pipe, then once the engine is in place, pull the rubber tubes up onto the exhaust tubes. That way you don't have to worry about getting the ali tubes into the rubber tubes while manoeuvring the engine into place.

Chris.....

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Can you cut and then hinge the fiberglass piece?

Take some pic's....im sure you will get some idea's

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to remove my rear seat to get good access.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm thinking I have a bucket loader, a chain fall and a come-along. I'm going to hook the front motor lift to the chain fall; bring the bucket loader in from the back of the boat and hook the rear motor lift to the bucket loader. I will hook the come-along through the transom bellows to the front of the tractor and somewhere to the back of the engine. This will give me maximum manueverability. I'll put a 2x4 across the front motor mounts and a 2x4 somewhere across the rear of the motor (maybe grease the underside of the 2x4's ) and try to slide the motor back under the overhang. When the rear motor lift chain starts to interfere with the overhang, I'll take off the chain to the bucket and try to move it a few more inches back with the come-along until the rear motor lift appears again under the cut-out in the fiberglass overhang. I'll then re-attach the rear motor lift to the bucket to give it some more support and continue moving the motor backwards until I get it where I want it. At least it's a plan.