Embarrassing photos of trailer wheels

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Just background: This boat and trailer came with the house we bought in 2006. The longest trip it probably ever took was the ten miles from the dealership in 1999. Everything else was to the ramp 100 yards away.

This morning I was getting ready to pull the boat out of the slip for some cleanup today when I noticed one of the trailer wheels was not turning. I was in reverse and sometimes that gets the attention of the surge brakes. Sometimes the trailer is a pain in reverse.

Nope.. even going forward the wheel was locked up. Time to pull a wheel and take a look...
Let me share a few pics..

-Remove tire and wheel and gently remove the dust cap/ grease cap/ bearing buddy.

-What you have left is a nut with a castle washer or castle nut and a cotter pin. Pull the pin and the nut comes right off as it should be about hand tight.

-With a little coaxing, the drum comes right off. Hopefully yours doesn't have remnants of brake shoes in it. :facepalm:

Now it's time to learn about drum brake replacement...

Attachments

• 100_1335 (640x480).jpg
    100_1335 (640x480).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1337 (640x480).jpg
    100_1337 (640x480).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1338 (640x480).jpg
    100_1338 (640x480).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1327 (640x480).jpg
    100_1327 (640x480).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Embarrassing photos of trailer wheels

Speaking of embarrassing... most all of my trailer tires have been replaced for age, not mileage.

The SeaRay's trailer barely made it home. I discovered this after she was parked after being on the highway coming back from the lake...

All four tires were de-lammed like that. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC00284.jpg
    DSC00284.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1

briangcc

Commander

Just out of curiosity...how old were those carlisle tires?

I just replaced a set of Carlisle Radials that came as original equipment on my '05 Four Winns. They looked like new and had no signs of dry rot like yours did.

I do agree that you dodged a bullet getting that boat home on those tires.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drum brakes are not bad to change but I thing finding the parts that may be your problem.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Most auto parts stores sell brake hardware that fits trailers

After a few phone calls and visits to local auto parts stores, it does look like parts are a slight issue.
A friend owns a local boat and truck repair business. He will order the parts tomorrow.

I am in the process of removing both (L&R) backing plates. This boat and trailer may end up going from Missouri to Texas so I do not want to just throw new shoes on those nasty backing plates. Just four bolts and a brake line, but, man, these bolts are a pain to get at without deeper surgery.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Just out of curiosity...how old were those carlisle tires?

I just replaced a set of Carlisle Radials that came as original equipment on my '05 Four Winns. They looked like new and had no signs of dry rot like yours did.

I do agree that you dodged a bullet getting that boat home on those tires.

I think those tires were 3-4 years old. Could have been a tough lesson that tire tread is not the only indicator of tire life. I posted the pics so others could learn from my mistake.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think your issue was probably a lack of use...

Could be wrong though

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I think your issue was probably a lack of use...

Could be wrong though

Definitely a possibility. A couple of Iraq and Korea tours left the SeaRay parked for extended periods.

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Direct sun light is the killer #1. Tire covers are recommended for trailers and motor homes, available in different sizes and they are not expensive. Also it's a good idea to keep them fully inflated. Let a trailer sit on underinflated tires for a longer time and you have a problem.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely a possibility. A couple of Iraq and Korea tours left the SeaRay parked for extended periods.

Thats what you get for taking vacations to foreign countries and neglecting your toys here at home. :happy:

Seriously though, thanks for your service.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Just buy new backing plates with everything. Probably cheaper in the long run as your slave cylinders are probably also bad.

Hydraulic Drum Brakes Trailer Brakes | etrailer.com

Ordered both backing plates about 30 minutes ago. That looked better than throwing parts at the old ones. Should have them tomorrow. Today I am making sure all the lines are clear.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

you ordered a left and a right correct?

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I ordered a pair (well, my buddy ordered a pair as I was at his shop), but you do make me think that a follow up call may not be a bad idea before they ship. They may have already shipped so I will find out tomorrow.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

These were the backing plates that I pulled off yesterday. I could see that throwing new parts at them would be as expensive, and a whole lot more aggravating, than just buying $65 complete assemblies. We ordered new backing plates from a trailer company, so we are assuming a "pair" means left and right.

(note my sticky labels but I think the shorter shoe always faces forward)

Attachments

• 100_1348 (640x480).jpg
    100_1348 (640x480).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1

DaNinja

Lieutenant

New backing plates arrived noon today. Really good copies of the originals.

I need to blow out the lines and get these things installed.

Attachments

• 100_1364 (640x480).jpg
    100_1364 (640x480).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A fyi also you may want to take a close look at the date code on new tires. Tires have a limited life expectancy. Even if they look brand new hafe of their expected life can be all ready over. Here is how to under stand date coding. Tire shops will try to pass off old tires on you.

Tire Age Calculator - When were my tires Manufactured?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

With the trailer for the most part sitting or dropping the boat off 100 yards at most to the ramp, you really can see how the moisture took its toll on the parts over time.

Note to self, move the trailers off the grass.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

With the trailer for the most part sitting or dropping the boat off 100 yards at most to the ramp, you really can see how the moisture took its toll on the parts over time.

Note to self, move the trailers off the grass.

Good info. The tires on the Texas SeaRay came from a national brand store, but that did make me think about where the clock starts. Thanks.