Power washer

Jgraham389

Cadet
Is it OK to use a power washer to initially clean a dirty neglected boat or will it hurt the finish underneath the oxidation, dirt and mildew?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power washer

Use the 15 degree yellow tip and you'll be fine.

If the 15 degree tip doesn't cut it like you want try stepping up to a turbo tip, hold the tip back about 12" from the boat and then move in closer until you get the desired amount of cleaning action.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I power wash my boat all the time and I cant see it herting the paint or finish but the one thing you need to stay away from is stickers and pinstripe.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For a glass boat, I'd recommend going to Lowe's and getting some TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate) and following the directions. It does a great job of cleaning the grunge off boats with a scrub brush. After that I'd follow up with some Simple Green and then a final wipedown with Acetone. Any stains left after that will require more serious deep cleaning.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is it OK to use a power washer to initially clean a dirty neglected boat or will it hurt the finish underneath the oxidation, dirt and mildew?

You can Never Damage the gelcoat with a pressure washer.

Yes its ok if you power wash.. it will not help to get any kind of oxidation off of your boat. But the washing will get rid of the grime :)

YD.