6.5 hp evinrude barely runs

JaySyrnyk

Recruit
So I was cruisin along at full throttle when suddenly the power cuts out and slows right down to trollin speed while still at full trottle position. prop still spins fine no feeling of resistance when turning it by hand. It still starts but only in full throttle position. when I disconnect the gas while its running it will eventually speed up to about half power right before it runs out of gas and dies. I tried getting fresh gas and remixing it thinking it was just bad gas but still does same thing. Just replaced the plugs so checked spark and it still sparks fine. I did observe while idling motor in water it was spitting out sludgy globs of oil into the water. I'm not sure of the year of the motor but believe it to b a late 60s early 70s.
I don't know much about outboards this is my first one so any advice is much appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 6.5 hp evinrude barely runs

Welcome to the forum.
Could you post a model number for your engine?
Does it help to pump the primer bulb when the problem happens?
If the spark and compression are OK, I would think about over hauling the carb, might have a restricted or plugged high speed orifice.

JaySyrnyk

Recruit

Thank you
Pumping the primer bulb does not help or even effect this issue and the model is CE7RSB and ser. No is B0100172

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Can't cross that model number.
Start by checking compression and spark. Spark needs to jump a 1/4" air gap and be bright blue.
If those are OK, move on to the carb.

JaySyrnyk

Recruit

Well I checked the spark again and the gap is ok and its bright blue I will try the carb. I've never worked on a carb before are they very complicated on these motors?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I was going to look up your carb, but I can't cross your model number, maybe someone will chime in that has a different conversion manual than I do. The 6.5 hp doesn't sound correct for that time frame, I am used to seeing 6hp. Those used a pretty simple carb and are not hard to overhaul.

JaySyrnyk

Recruit

Yea Im only assuming the year by what friends have suggested only other info in can give is on the motor cover it says "super 6.5"