first time buyer,

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
curious being a first time buyer of a pontoon, what are some of the major things to look for.
I am going to go pick up a 28ft harris 1987 2.3l ford omc cobra.
I guess besides the main things like major noise and if it floats.......? what could be something that I really wanna check out?
Thanks in advance

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: first time buyer,

2.3l ford omc cobra, thats a old drive combination that been out of production a very long time and is getting hard to find parts for, personally I would pass it up.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke with one of our main boat/engine suppliers and parts dealers around and they said I could do one of two things,
buy a 4.3 chvy with alpha and install, or they have parts still for the current setup. I am a mechanic at a CAT dealer so I would be able to tackle the repairs myself (not saying I am a certified marine mechanic at all but I have a little common sense)
for 2800$ I would hope I am on the winning side of the sale. I guess if there are any other things besides engine combo that I should look for in the boat structure itself? trust me I spent a whole night last week just reading on here about the 2.3l cobra setup and how parts really are not available. I really want this thing :grief:

Last edited:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Parts are a challenge especially things like shift interrupter switches, gaskets. Switching the motor out is certainly doable, and buying a boat for the motor and outdrive can get you a bargain. The 2.3 works well on that model harris, as it rev's higher than the 3.0 chevy motor. If you check it out and it runs and shifts well, the motor may last a long time.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, I hope a few more chime in. I am heading Saturday to drive and check out this beast. it needs an interior but what 87 that hasn't been redone doesn't. I am ok with buying this boat if all the other major components are there. should I be aware of frame and tube flex? if I stand on one corner and apply weight if the whole deck and toons flex should I run? I just want to make sure that the deck and toons (chassis) are durable because everything else can be replaced or updated. I really need something that will hold a few people comfortably within the budget.

Jeep Man

Commander

Tube flexing is very unlikely. Check the deck for soft spots. If the deck has been redone, ensure that it is NOT pressure treat lumber.The bigger the diameter on the pontoon the better. You would want 19" as a minimum, preferably 24" or larger. Stay away from older foam filled pontoons (U shaped), and check the pontoons for any leaks. Be weary if the boat has been used in salt water.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am curious if Harris used a foam toon,curious of deck flex? sorry I know the toons shouldn't flex but from front to back corner to corner.
what would be the standard lumber to use to resurface a deck? (if I need to redo this one)
I am going to be able to check out the boat its in the water and would like to run it around for a while before we load her up. Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it and keep the info coming.

Jeep Man

Commander

The frame will be aluminum,and not likely to be an issue. Most decks are made from marine plywood which tends to be expensive. 3/4" ABX or CBX exterior grade plywood will do the job nicely at a much better price. Marine vinyl or marine grade carpet will provide a good finish. Virtually all round pontoons do not have foam whereas U shaped ones do have foam.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1987 Harris pontoons were generally built like a tank. They are heavier than others, push water aside well, and handle waves better then others of that generation. They are not speed demons, but my wife has skied behind the one we used to have.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool, yeah not really looking to "haul the mail". I plan on turning the beast into a all around "relaxation station" with all the fishing gear tucked away until needed. we have a section of river here in MI that is very large with many little cuts/coves that make for great hangouts. thanks for all the info on it. I will be posting pics as soon as I get her home on Saturday. Now I just hope that I can fit her through my door (9'6"wide)

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol I made some toon dollies to roll her around with, hopefully I can advertise with a few cold beverages to get a little help pushing it in the shop.

Better make sure it's good beer. No telling what kind of help you would get if you offer Milwaukee's Best or Busch Light

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just a heads up in case you look for a 4.0 Chevy engine. There aren't any. 4.3 is a V6. You would be looking for a 2.5 or 3.0 4 cylinder.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't pay much for it!

If you find yourself having to swap engines, replace decking, adding canvas tops, and adding furniture, you'll be spending $5000-$6000 on top of what the pontoon costs. For $6000 you can get a water ready pontoon and just go boating.

Maybe you just buy it and enjoy the current setup. That motor better start flawlessly, shift, and be powerful across the RPM range. If it looks all hacked together, I would stay away from it.

Just a couple of thoughts.... I have a 29' pontoon and love the space. So 28' is a good thing !

The 2.3 motor, provided it is in top shape, is ~120HP. That is a nice HP to do watersports if that is part of your plan.

If there is a hardtop, big bonus. You'll want some shade.

28' will probably have 22"-23" pontoons, so that is good too.

It will have built in gas tanks somewhere. See how easy they are to access. Being a 1970s boat, things like fuel lines, tank crud, broken senders etc. come to mind. You may have to deal with that and then add a good filtration system if there is not one.

If you have fishing plans and are thinking a trolling motor, you'll need a 24v 75lbs thrust setup to move that 28' pontoon.

Ok, updates us with the results !

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't pay much for it!

If you find yourself having to swap engines, replace decking, adding canvas tops, and adding furniture, you'll be spending $5000-$6000 on top of what the pontoon costs. For $6000 you can get a water ready pontoon and just go boating.

Maybe you just buy it and enjoy the current setup. That motor better start flawlessly, shift, and be powerful across the RPM range. If it looks all hacked together, I would stay away from it.

Just a couple of thoughts.... I have a 29' pontoon and love the space. So 28' is a good thing !

The 2.3 motor, provided it is in top shape, is ~120HP. That is a nice HP to do watersports if that is part of your plan.

If there is a hardtop, big bonus. You'll want some shade.

28' will probably have 22"-23" pontoons, so that is good too.

It will have built in gas tanks somewhere. See how easy they are to access. Being a 1970s boat, things like fuel lines, tank crud, broken senders etc. come to mind. You may have to deal with that and then add a good filtration system if there is not one.

If you have fishing plans and are thinking a trolling motor, you'll need a 24v 75lbs thrust setup to move that 28' pontoon.

Ok, updates us with the results !

I will give updates for sure, Its actually a 1987 boat and for the price I think I am getting a great deal, he asked 3500 I offered 2800 and he went for it, I will be sure to thoroughly go through the boat tomorrow and check it all out. I don't plan to do any watersports with it mostly relax and cruise with a few people and catching some walleye and big gills. I know that the seats need some work which I plan on tackling along with any mechanical work needed. I realize I will have to put some more money into this boat, I guess I will have to give the updates tomorrow when I pick it up. Thanks again everyone for your input. I guess I will see if it needs parts and how much they cost VS pulling power plant and installing new.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

new boat 155.jpgnew boat 156.jpgnew boat 157.jpgnew boat 160.jpgnew boat 161.jpg

just a few pics of my new vessel. I think the name "All Tooned Up" is a good one for it. I plan on having a surfboard shaped bar for the front half with 8 captains chairs surrounding it.I am fed up with trying to make a decision on the new decking (wood,treated,resin,epoxy marine) I have read about 3 million decking threads on here and still have no idea which way to go. I am very happy with the boat and feel it will be a great fit for what I wanted. Please someone help me figure out the decking!

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

new boat 165.jpgnew boat 166.jpgnew boat 168.jpgnew boat 172.jpg

a few more, I told hunny her I have a special seat for her right on the front : )

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marine plywood & vinyl flooring !

On those seats, clean em up with Clorox Clean up and Magic Eraser. See how thye come out and what is useable.

Last edited: