Friends Bayliner

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Friend of mine has a mid 80's 19ft Bayliner Capri. His bilge pump failed a while back and boat was filled over the gas tank with rain water while in the dock. Pulled boat out, drained water out and drained and cleaned gas tank in case of water intrusion in there. Boat running fine but there is red slimey stuff all over the ski locker and engine compartment. In fact in all below floor areas. Wondering just what this actually is ??? Floor was replaced by previous owners before he got it. Hoping it's not rotting or rotted out stringers down there.
Any ideas anyone ???
Any and all input much appreciated as usual.
Thanks,
Ken.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Friends Bayliner

Once water has been allowed in, it's not easy to get it out. The slime is most likely the beginning of mold, the boat needs to be put into a dry protected environment after it has been cleaned and de-molded. The foam under the floors is really hard to get water out of, no one I know has done this 100% even with a dry garage to open her up and let dry out. Good luck and don't buy this boat.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was it oil I have seen red outboard oil but you did not say if it was a IB or out board

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

could be something that spilled and leaked in the sinking--a bottle of ATF fluid? Antifreeze?

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

PS fluid can add a light red or pink hue to water and anything else it touches.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Everything appears oil tight and sealed as regards power steering fluid etc. Hoping it's not the stringers rotting, dying the water / moisture reddish and becoming mouldy ??

NYBo

Admiral

One dunking won't cause rot unless the water is allowed to sit for an extended period of time so that the wood becomes saturated.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I hope he has learned his lesson and installed another backup pump....all docked watercraft should have two pumps, each one on a separate battery or you are asking for trouble.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

One dunking won't cause rot unless the water is allowed to sit for an extended period of time so that the wood becomes saturated.

He has not done that but I am concerned for the previous owner installing a new floor and him not knowing what lies beneath !!!! Mid 80's Bayliners are not well known for being super well built from what I have read.

NYBo

Admiral

He has not done that but I am concerned for the previous owner installing a new floor and him not knowing what lies beneath !!!! Mid 80's Bayliners are not well known for being super well built from what I have read.
Tell me about it...:redface:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You read well....