Does fishing line go bad?

dozer1013

Seaman
ok, so maybe a silly question because everything degrades but I got to wondering because I wanted to restring a few of my reels and I had found some seemingly quite old spools (and by "quite" I mean likely 6 or 7 years...and maybe more) in my dad's tackle box. He can't fish anymore because of health reasons so he gave me his tackle.

I was happy that I didn't have to go buy a bunch of new line but after restringing I started thinking about it and so the question got into my head.

One of the spools looked unopened but the other ones definitely were but they all had been in his box so they were not exposed to any weather

So, does fishing line go bad if it's not being used and only being stored safe and dry?

Thanks

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does fishing line go bad?

I would think so but if some one on here says no IDK I still change my line every year or to. Its not worth losing a big fis for short $

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

if its kept out of the sun it will last a long time, not forever though

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Two weeks ago I rewound my trusty 50 year old Zebco 33 with some line I bought in 1990. It has been stored in the dark. Pulled in a nice sized log yesterday with no problems using a 10 pound line. Yes, a real log. :)

dozer1013

Seaman

Two weeks ago I rewound my trusty 50 year old Zebco 33 with some line I bought in 1990. It has been stored in the dark. Pulled in a nice sized log yesterday with no problems using a 10 pound line. Yes, a real log. :)

ok, good. this stuff definitely hasn't seen the light of day in some time until I found it so I'm gonna go with it. Maybe I too can land a log!!

thanks!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

UV and heat kills monofilament line. If it's been stored dark and cool, and it doesn't look "chalky" or "milky" and doesn't go splintery or powdery when you bend it, should be OK.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

When you spool your reel, if you notice a white chalky substance on your fingers (that you used to keep tension on the line) then throw it out. That's the plasticizer leaching out. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

foodfisher

Captain

I say yes. Pull some tension on the line and see if it breaks at rated poundage.

Last edited:

dozer1013

Seaman

line looks good. Not milky, chalky, or powdery. I tied a little bit that was left on the spool to my vice on the workbench and pulled pretty hard and there was no breakage so I think all is well

Thanks everyone! :joyous:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Famous last words from 2 weeks ago...."the line is ok, the rod has been in the closet for the past 3 years".
A school of small striped bass (18-22") under the boat. First cast...snap...ties on new crank bait. Second cast....snap. Ties on new jig head...snap...."Ok, so the line isn't any good".

Personally, I don't use the stuff except for a couple of applications. Changed over to braid and never looked back

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Mono can lose a great deal of strength and look fine, after that long chuck it out. for $7.00 you can probably put new line a couple of reels, doesn't seem to be very cost effective to spend money on gas bait and other tackle then cheap out on the line.

I too use braid on most of my reels, no more respooling each reel a couple of times per season.

Last edited:

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've taken to partial re-spools. I leave about half a spool of whatever is on there and tie on a half of a spool of premium fluorocarbon, braid or some other high end line. That said, I don't usually fish for anything that could peel off more than a few dozen yards of line at a time so your mileage may vary.