Help, flooded my upper!

wvyen

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Just got my 1999 Mercury 60 hp out of the shop? I took it out for a test run and my transducer must have bent out of place because the normal rooster tail it shoots up was angling directly at the side of my cowl. When I stopped to rest for minute, not realizing what was happening at this point, the motor died. I looked back at the motor and saw water draining out of the upper. I removed the cowl and the back end of the upper was flooded. It didn't quite run the same the rest of the day and seems to be idling very low now. What problems couldi be experiencing now?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help, flooded my upper!

It really shouldn't be an issue provided water did not enter motor thru carbs. If it did, you should run the motor for 45 minutes at idle to dry it out. If saltwater, run double oil.

wvyen

Seaman Apprentice

It really shouldn't be an issue provided water did not enter motor thru carbs. If it did, you should run the motor for 45 minutes at idle to dry it out. If saltwater, run double oil.

I can't see how it would have gotten into the carbs, all the water was toward the back and not really new the carbs

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree get it running and spray some foging oil in the carbs that will oil the inside of the engine but so long as you can get it running the let it run and it will burn off any water inor around the engine.

wvyen

Seaman Apprentice

Will do, thanks for the advice!