1986 Bayliner AQ131A will not start

scout12

Recruit
I was having uses with the boat bogging down/surging so I decided to rebuild the carb. After the rebuild I took it out once and it ran fine. The next outing it ran for an hour then starting bogging down then wouldn't start after being off for 30 minutes. I have since gotten it to start a few times but it would die after 1-2 minutes. Now it will not start at all.

As a side question that is probably totally stupid. Why do you need muffs on this boat when running out of the water since it is a closed cooling system?

Thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: 1986 Bayliner AQ131A will not start

Welcome.

I would pull the plugs and see what they look like. It sounds like the idle mixture may be off causing it to flood. The plugs would be black and/or wet. Does it die if you idle up the motor to 1200rpm? btw, don't run the motor over 2000 rpm without a load on it for any length of time. Remember that motor has no choke so starting can be tricky until you develop a routine.

The muffs need to be on or you will overheat the raw water impeller in a matter of seconds. Also the water keeps the rubber between the exhaust manifold and pipe from melting.

Also check your points and ignition parts. Have you checked the timing and dwell adjustments? Those motors can be touchy if things aren't set correctly. If you need help with these, just ask.:)

Last edited:

scout12

Recruit

Sigh well I'm an idiot and started it multiple times without the muffs for at least 2 minutes. I now understand the impeller is probably shot (doh!) but would this now have damage the engine/prevent it from starting?

I pulled the plugs and replaced them to try and fix the surging issue and the old ones were black but the engine still doesn't start.

Thanks

scout12

Recruit

OK after doing some research and realizing I'm an idiot :facepalm: I ordered a Sierra International 18-3075 kit to fix the impeller that I surely killed.

Would that stop the engine from running?

captmello

Captain

No, the bad impeller won't cause it to not start. When you start it are you pumping the throttle a couple times and leaving the throttle in a 1/4 open position? This is a common way of starting a carbed motor. Did you know how to give it throttle without putting it in gear?

Have you checked for spark? If the engine wont start its either fuel, spark, or timing. You need to check them all in a methodical manner.