Ohio Registration Question

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys,

I am starting another Starcraft project, a 1977 18' holiday and I have a question about the registration stickers :

When I bought the boat ( used ) the seller had new registration stickers on it that are good till 2015, However the registration card he gave me was for the stickers that expired in 2009. I e-mailed him to see if he had the newer card but he has not gotten back with me yet.

My questions are :

1) If I do get the new registration card, do I need to have it transfered into my name, or can I have the Boat titled in my name and registered in his name till 2015 ?

2) If I do not get the current card, can I just leave the stickers on the boat till 2015 ?

3) If I do not get the card but need new stickers, will I need anything from him to get new stickers ?

Many Thanks,

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ohio Registration Question

Best thing is call the Ohio department that does all those things. I know you will have to put it in your name legally or he can come get the boat anytime if he can prove ownership, like an un-transferred title in his name.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in Ohio and familiar with the process....

For sure, get the boat titled in your name. Otherwise, he still owns it!

For registration just keep the stickers (those are $30). Then go to Ohio BMV that also serves watercraft (not all do) and tell them to re-register the stickers to you. There is a $5 fee for this. They'll print you the new registration card. When I did it, I only had to show my Ohio drivers license. I took my title too, but it was not needed.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

When I bought a boat in Ohio last year year it came with a title and reg card. I needed both to get it into my name in KY.

64osby

Admiral

If the stickers are on the boat you may have an issue if you are looking at painting.

You might have to get new tags if you peel them off.

Yes get the boat in your name. Work on it. Not sure what happens if new tags need to be issued after the project.

I just sold a little Tinny that was registered but I never put the reg numbers or tag on the boat just in case the new owner wanted to paint or whatever.

Good luck on the project.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, Here is the deal.

The PO sent me a copy of the current registration paper that was in his name and I took it to the DMV to get it transfered.

I did need the title in my name to get the registration transfered and the cost was $5.00 .

However, when I got the new registration paper ( in my name ) it did not have the decal numbers on it ( middle box ) and when I asked about it, they said they do not but the sticker numbers on registrations that are transfered with "time on them"

I find this hard to believe, I would suspect a watercraft officer would find this suspicious, But figured I would ask you guys if this is normal.

So, is it normal for the DMV to leave the decal numbers off the registration card when the are transfered ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Probably normal. And the water cops can pull up the rego info over the phone or laptop. If you see one around ask, it won't hurt because you're legal. I ask my DNR folks about things all the time when I find them on the water/ramp. But they never tell me where the fish are biting. :grumpy: