Water leaking into bilge

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Out on the lake, we pull into a shallow area for kids to swim, threw anchor out the front and lowered outdrive down into sand to keep the rear from moving. After some time I opened engine compartment to check something and noticed alot of water in the bilge. Ran the pump to drain and then could hear water running pretty steady into the bilge. What I found was I had the rear in a little bit of a bind by lowering the outdrive and it opened up an area for the water to run in. When raising it back up and checking what I could without crawling all the way in, I couldn't see any water coming in. Never heard of this before so I don't know if that just happens when in it's a bind like that or if I have bigger problems.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water leaking into bilge

leakage is always a great problem.start with the simple things.
main bellows, shift cable bellows. jamming outdrive in sand could pull the housing away from the transom.This will cause the transom wood to get wet and start rotting.pull the boat and inspect the housing using a business card or a feeler gauge to see if there is a gap. there should be none.
and get yourself a second anchor to put in the beach not your outdrive