Floor repair

preaney

Cadet
A small area of the floor of my 19 foot 1986 Bayliner Capri has rotted. I'm planning on replacing this area with a patch of plywood. I have already cut out the affected area, which has exposed dry foam (happy for that). <br /><br />I'm also planning on putting 'temporary' carpet in, with velcro or snaps at the edges to allow easy removal of the carpet in the future.<br /><br />The rest of the floor is pretty solid, but looks as though it's either uncoated, or the coating that was on it has deteriorated. It has the appearance of wood that's been painted, but the paint is peeling off.<br /><br />My question is, should I recoat the whole floor, and if so, what should I recoat it with? It would be nice if I could apply some kind of waterproof coating instead of carpet, but I don't know if that kind of product exists.<br /><br />You can view some pictures of the boat here:<br /><br /> http://www.chitownirish.net/BoatFloor/ <br /><br />Would appreciate any info that anyone wants to share.

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Floor repair

gee..that's how the floor in MY bayliner looks..<br /><br />Such quality... {im not trashing YOUR boat .. more like grumbling about Bayliner's work)

Realgun

Commander

My floor was so bad there were two holes in it. :) <br />Danger Dan that floor is not looking that good I would suggest a new floor but its gonna take you a while. Basically If you can't see it then bayliner skimped on it ie: The edges of floor are nicely glassed to boat but floor was shot with the glassing gun waved over it ONCE! :) I think that floor is more rotted than you think. Roll a marble over the fuel tank I bet it rolls faster to the middle slows down then come back. I would hazard a guess thats its bowed like mine was.<br /><br />BTW the foam on top was dry in mine but under the dry about 1-3 inches its wet.

preaney

Cadet

Realgun:<br /><br />Tuns out I'm in much the situation you're in. There was another soft spot in front of the driver's seat, and when I cut it out I found a partially rotted stringer.<br /><br />The foam is also wet, so I've decided to do something similar to what you did, but not as radical. I'm going to remove the middle seats and replace the floor from the front seating to the back. (about 8 feet of my 19 foot boat). <br /><br />My question to you is how difficult was it to remove the middle seats in your boat? Mine are glassed in, and it looks like yours were as well.<br /><br />Also, did you reuse them when you put the boat back together, or did you buy new seats? I don't see any pictures of the inside of your boat after you finished it.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Got a question for Realgun. I need to do what you did, i.e., replace your entire floor. I also have your same boat. How much did it cost you for materials? Thanks.