oil ALARM ?

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After cruising for 2 hours I started to get a beep beep when a wave would rock the boat. After a few more minutes started getting 3 beeps then 4 beeps until it turned into a constant beeping. My motor was cool about 170 degrees water pressure was good. The oil reservoir ( on The motor)looked to be 3/4 full. Oil tank on the boat was 3/4 full. oh the motor is a Mercury 2002 and 150 HP w/carbs. All help would be appreciated

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil ALARM ?

Not familiar with the sending unit on the 150. On the 90, there is a magnet in the oil tank on the float that senses oil level. Sometimes the magnet becomes dislodged and falls off. When that happens those in the know say that the alarm will sound. Sounds like it was falling off and finally made it. With the tank 3/4 full and responding to a rocking motion, I don't know what else it could be.

Mark

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked that its ok besides I found the cap that is the sensor was cracked so I replaced it 2 weeks ago.

The oil reservoir on a V-6 Merc like that should always have the motor side reservoir full. It gets pressurized from crankcase pressure. So maybe when you replaced the oil cap, it wasn't bled out to be 100% full. That float trips the beep almost immediately when that motor side tank is low.

That?s a big concern.

The beauty of this system is it?s easy to trouble shoot. Once the alarm is beeping, you just disconnect the corresponding sensors in a controlled manor.

The oil pump has a sensor for counting revs. of the oil pump shaft. If that stops the beep, it means you have a bad drive gear for the oil pump.

Very, very serious.

If this sounds too involved to fix on your own, have it looked at by a pro.

I?d mix your gas tank 50:1 just as a precaution

Key west Tom

Seaman Apprentice

like someone else said your engine tank should be full ...it could be that the oil level is just at the point that the waves are bouncing the float switch and the alarm sounds...my engine oil tank stays full to the top so I would try to fill it and retest.