898 died

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
I have recently rebuilt this 898 and added center rise manifolds.
I now have them plumbed for "cold manifold" but they still get very hot.
Anyways I had finally put the 10 hours breakin time on it without any real issues other than the manifolds getting very hot.
The temp gauge says 165 and never changes at any speed.
Changed the oil and finally took the boat out and ran it up to plane and was making my first trip with it when it just died.
Boat ran great for about 15 minutes at 3000 rpm at 31 mph with a 21p.
It was quite choppy and the boat was banged pretty good on the waves when it just died.
No sputter or anything just dead. Like running out of gas but the tank was full.
As it had been sitting for 2 years without starting, I originally drained all the old gas and some water out through the gas line so there must have been some left that the pickup did not get.
I could not get the boat to start until I did and then only after squirting gas into the carb.
But after that it ran fine.
After it died, I was able to pump the throttle a couple of times and it started right up again.
Ran it at idle for a couple of minutes and then put the hammer down and got it back up on plane again for about a minute when it just died again.
Started up again and ran at 1000 rpm back to the dock with no issues. I even was able to run it back up on plane for 4 or 5 minutes before reaching the dock.

So now I am totally puzzled.
Obviously this is either no fuel or no spark.
But how do I tell when it now runs fine?
Would excessive heat from the manifold heat something up under the doghouse and cause it to stall?
Wondering if maybe my coil or distributor can fail if they get hot?
Any ideas on how to track this down would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 898 died

Sounds like it's running low on fuel. Check the fuel pump and all the lines (you may have a small leak that's allowing air to be drawn in, and it's only manifesting at higher demand...

Chris..

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Exactly right!
Loose connection from fuel pump to filter!
Thanks so much!

Volphin

Lieutenant

Remember to air out that bilge! Gas vapors cause things to go boom.