1982 merc 80hp flywheel endplay

joshgar8

Seaman
Hey guys, I just got a boat with a 1982 inline 4 80hp. I was told the engine is due for a rebuild but cannot verify. I have not had any time to investigate or start attempting to get it running however from a general inspection I did notice the flywheel has atleast .100" end play. Is this normal for these things or is that indicator of a bearing issue? I can see the crankshaft inside the flywheel and the complete flywheel/crank combo is moving not just a loose flywheel. It cranks over and sounds normal. Without investigating any further, my main question has to do with the end play. My first thing will be a compression check but I wanted to post this and see if I can get any info on the end play. The story I was told is the previous owner bought the boat and took it to the lake one time, said it ran good most of the day then he shut it down and it wouldn't start back. I cannot verify anything yet due to the fact I just got it today. Thanks allot.

joshgar8

Seaman
Re: 1982 merc 80hp flywheel endplay

I was able to get a indicator on the flywheel today. The endplay was not as bad as my guess, .045"-.048" instead of .100". Is this going to affect this engine from running? I also verified the model of the engine to be a 1983-1987.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I was able to get a indicator on the flywheel today. The endplay was not as bad as my guess, .045"-.048" instead of .100". Is this going to affect this engine from running?
Nope... all perfectly normal.
I also verified the model of the engine to be a 1983-1987.
Has to be a 1983 or earlier as 80hp 4 cylinder not made past 1983, 1984 it was changed to a 75hp.

joshgar8

Seaman

Thanks for your info. The guy we got it from didn't have a clue about boats. He had it running the one time as mentioned in the first post and had problems and took it to a "boat shop". They told him that it needed a new starter and a engine overhaul due to all the bearings going down causing excessive end play. I have since found the bad starter was a bad ground wire and with your info the endplay bull**** was just that. I drained the fuel from the tank just as a precaution so my only option was to squirt alittle fuel/oil into the carbs to see if it would hit, it fired right up. Sounds like the "boat shop" around Cleveland TN could have been doing some type scam. I have plans today to add fuel, fix the ground, check the timing and see if we can get this little engine going.