Using UHMW sheets for flooring?

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice
We use UHMW sheets for skid plates on rock crawlers, and I have found some info on here about using it for hull protection. But I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone replacing their plywood flooring with sheets of UHMW.

I'm going to have to replace the floor in my StarCraft soon, and this was the first thing that came to mind. I've even thought about replacing the transom with a combination UHMW and aluminum sheets layered up, rather than layers of plywood. Would like to have zero wood left in the boat.

Any reason I'm not seeing this in any rebuilds?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Using UHMW sheets for flooring?

Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene.

I think because it's plastic, not sure about it's strength rating, limited finish options and if that's not reason enough almost $200 for a 4 x 8 x 1/2" sheet should sway most guys back to marine grade plywood.

I would love to see some one use something like that and report back but I would say 90% of the guys on here restoring boats are doing it on a tight if not shoestring budget.

Re: Using UHMW sheets for flooring?

uhmw would be useless as a floor material. Its not strong, Its slippery, nothing likes to stick to it and as a bonus it thermally unstable so it will grow 1" for every 10' in sun light so its going to get wavy. Nothing I would like more than a ice rink with bumps as a floor on a boat.
Also after its a few years old it cracks on the surface if exposed to UV light.