carb questions

amosh

Seaman Apprentice
my 1991 mercury v-200 carbed engine is hesitating out of the hole shot. it also idles rough and wants to flood from time to time. I replaced plugs and it got a little better, but still noticable hesitation. i have plug wires on the way, but i was wondering if there is a good way to clean the carbs out while they are on the engine. i am a little hesitant to pull them off because its a bank of three carbs and i have no experience with syncronising a bank of carbs after the cleaning is complete

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: carb questions

You could try running some Sea Foam in the fuel. You might get lucky.

Randy Haining

Recruit

I just experienced the same problem with the same model/year motor. You shouldn't have to worry about re-synchronizing the carbs just pop off the oil pump linkage (to carb), remove the three bolts and take the carb linkage off. (if you have a manual it's straight forward). You'll find that a modified 7/16" wrench is necessary to remove the lower nuts for the bottom carb (just cut one to where you can work comfortably). Make sure you identify and mount the carbs in the same position as they were remove. Remove the bowl/float and needle valve/seat, turn over and remove the six screws from the top cover exposing the mixing chamber. (this was the dirty area on my motor). It's advisable to replace the needle and seat but not totally necessary. I used carb cleaner in the spray form and cleaned/blew through all orifice's being extremely careful not to get anything on the floats or tips of my needle valves (original tips had rubber coating/replacements don't). Re-assemble in the reverse and when installing the carb linkage, just push it onto the three carb pins and after you re-attached the oil pump linkage you'll notice the carb linkage is in the same position as before...just install the three bolts.
I suggest changing the needle valve/seat as I learned the hard way...my bottom carb leaked so I removed the carbs again and put new ones in ($16.00 each from Mercury Marine).
If you want I could scan my manual and see if I can attach a PDF for your assistance?

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

ive tried sea foam and am currently running sta-bil ethinol treatment through it. Randy, that would be teriffic if you could do that for me. bout how long did it take you to clean them out?

Randy Haining

Recruit

First time it took about 3 hrs, now roughly 2.5 hrs.
I religiously use fuel stabilizer and sea foam and other than my bottom carb (dirt in mixing chamber)the other two carbs were very clean/ no varnish or gum.
Tried attaching PDF...not sure if it worked

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help. pdf didnt go through tho. think im going to try some BG 44k in it before I tear into the carbs. supposed to be stronger than seafoam. hope it works. Has anyone used this product on a 2 stroke before, and how did it work