Timing adjustment?

Timlp

Cadet
1988 Force 50hp outboard

Slowly working on repairing this engine. First time working on an outboard. I have fresh gas/oil mixture. Cleaned carb. Replaced float needle. Adjusted float. Cleaned fuel filter at fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump diaphragm. Adjusted air mix screw 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Idle screw out 1 1/2 from lightly seated. Both plugs have good spark. Compression is supposed to be between 130-150. I tested it at between 110-120, so a little low but it's an old boat.

I took this video of it running. I know it prob could be numerous things, but thought I would post it to see anyway.
Boat motor - YouTube

thanks in advance for any help :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing adjustment?

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpg
FIRST!!!! What you calling an air/mix screw? Then what you calling an idle screw?
The top/front of the carb is the air/fuel mix screw. 1 turn out for inital starting.
The idle should be about 1100-1200 in the drive on a hose.
You need to run it in a BIG bucket or use special muffs(see pic).
The water in the bucket needs to be way over the water pump in the lower unit.
The comp? Taken with both plugs out? It should be 145-155# with a good guage.
Yours just might not be a good one?? As long as the readings are within 5-10 # of each othe it should work.

Do you have the pack and 2 coils?
If you didn't touch the timing linkage it shouldn't change.

Timlp

Cadet
Re: Timing adjustment?

I reduced the air/fuel mix screw to 1 turn out. I don't have a RPM gauge so I just adjusted idle screw 1 1/2 out for now. If I ever get it idling I can adjust that more. I didn't remove both plugs when I checked compression so thanx for that tip. I will recheck.

I do have 2 coils. Just trying to look up the function of these online. It seems that the engine is misfiring to me in my totally amateur opinion. Would the coils affect the timing of the spark?