Recent PM to Joe Reeves, '77 25 Rude

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just sent a PM to Joe Reeves regarding electrical components on my '77 Evinrude 25. I thought I was just asking a simple question but his reply to me could help anyone with just about any motor. I wanted to know how a motor with no points gets it's spark. Apparently the charge coil sends voltage to the power pack and the sensor sends a signal to the power pack to tell it when to fire the plugs based on the timing. At least that's what I understood. Joe, I know you're gonna read this so if I explained that wrong, by all means, set us all straight. my other question was if the charge coil and sensor were just for rope start. But it seems to me these components would be necessary to the operation of the motor because the flywheel magnets flying by the coil magnets are where the whole process starts. What am I not getting?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Recent PM to Joe Reeves, '77 25 Rude

Joe Reeves is one of the most knowledgeable guys here on this forum. You did good, going to him. :D

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's exactly why I did go to him.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Joe, my other question was if the charge coil and sensor were just for rope start. But it seems to me these components would be necessary to the operation of the motor because the flywheel magnets flying by the coil magnets are where the whole process starts. What am I not getting?

ReRead my answer... I mentioned the round ring looking component under the flywheel (STATOR) that is used on the electric start models. Along with a series if coils that is for charging the battery, the stator also contains the "charge coil" (voltage to pack), and the sensor (fires the coils).

What the parts book is telling you is that if you have a rope start model, you do not have a stator and you must have the smaller charge coil and sensor mentioned.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

but my motor is rope start AND electric start. So if something for the rope start goes out, does the electric start still work? Or if the electric start does not work, would I look at the charge coil and sensor also as part of the problem?

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain

If your motor has electric start, then it has a stator that provides electric current for both the ignition system and the charging system for your battery. If it were rope start only, you wouldn't have a stator. The electric starter gets it's current from the battery. The stator on electric start models helps maintain charge on your battery so starting the motor doesn't eventually run the battery down. If the electric start stops working, you can still start the motor with the rope starter and it will run fine unless the part of the stator that provides voltage for the power pack goes out. If the charging circuit of the stator goes out, the only effect would be that the battery wouldn't charge.
Not sure where the confusion was, but hope this helps.
I hope I wasn't butting in..... :)
JBJ

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB you're not buttin in. any help is welcome. i'm just trying to learn more about my motor and how it works