Water leaking from water pump housing

Wilburx13

Recruit
I had my boat out a few nights ago, and when I came back I began to flush the cooling system with fresh water. As I was doing this, I heard a loud pop come from the engine and I noticed that water was spraying out from the connection to the engine, as can be seen in one of the attached pictures. The engine was off when that picture was taken. This morning I was down there trying to take the water pump impeller out, but the space is too confined for me to be able to pull it out, so I am trying to take the whole housing off now. I've disconnected everything that I can possibly see attached to the housing, and the housing will spin around the impeller now but I cannot get it off.

This is my first year owning the boat, and while I know a little bit about engines I don't know that much about marine engines. Unfortunately I do not have a serial number, as this is engine was put in in 2005, but the previous owner didn't have any information on it. I know it is a 5.7L V8, the outdrive is a Mercruiser Bravo I. I've looked everywhere the serial number is supposed to be and it isn't there, and I've had other people more knowledgeable about boats look and they've been unsuccessful. I can post a picture of the whole engine if that will help with pinpointing what type of engine it is.

Any ideas on what the issue is, or how to go about fixing this? On a side note, the night that I had it out I noticed that it wasn't reaching full RPMs at WOT, so I turned around and came back in with the anticipation of troubleshooting that the next morning. For now I'm assuming that's a separate fuel or carburetor issue, but I'll worry about that when I fix this cooling system issue.

IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water leaking from water pump housing

Howdy,

You need to either replace or rebuild that Jabsco pump.

It's got a leaking seal and the bearings are probably "shot" too.

I have never had a Jabsco pump apart but I know you can buy them and probably rebuild them etc....

Cheers,

Rick

Wilburx13

Recruit

Any idea how to get it off though? That's my issue right now

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Any idea how to get it off though? That's my issue right now

Looks like it's bolted directly to the same flange that the double sheave crank-shaft pulley is bolted to.
WaterPumpJohnsonLG.jpg
You'll need to remove your belts.

Can't see that well from the picture but it looks like the pump and pulley is held on with allen-head bolts.
hexagonal_head_cap_screws_allen.jpg

Once you get the pump off, you can get rebuild kits from just about any dealer that sells those pumps.

It also might be leaking because of a freeze crack etc.

here's another bit of info on that type of pump...
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/50410_fip_bro_flange.pdf

Last edited:

Wilburx13

Recruit

Turns out it was. Thank you for your help, I didn't realize that was all one piece so i didn't even think to take those hex bolts off. I'll take it to the marine mechanic later this week and see what they say.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Turns out it was. Thank you for your help, I didn't realize that was all one piece so i didn't even think to take those hex bolts off. I'll take it to the marine mechanic later this week and see what they say.

Expect somewhere "north" of 1-2 hrs @ $100/hr for labor and what ever the pump parts/rebuild costs.

Cheers,

Rick