Carpet grows algae!!

2004 Voyager

Cadet
At the rear of the boat where spray/waves etc leaves the carpet damp for extended periods of time, the carpet will begin to grow algae and turn green. Cleans up with a power washer after getting home, but I believe algae is still dormant in the fibers because it seems to return so rapidly. Thought about using some swimming pool algaecide, don't want to ruin the carpet though. Any thoughts on this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carpet grows algae!!

Sunlight - sunlight - sunlight - and as soon after use as possible.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the boat under skinned, Just wondering if the boat was not under skinned and if part of the problem was from water coming from underneath?
And ^^^^^^^^, let the sun dry it out, then cover.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That is very very common around here. Especially on a slip kept boat. Several years ago it was so bad on a friends boat that he had decided to re carpet the boat and I told him to power wash and use a bit of the purple power cleaner. He did and never had problems with it again. Something in that slows or stops it. I use it on mine ever fall when I do the winter clean up before storage.

Last edited:

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Purple power works ? Cool. I wonder if using ammonia would also work or have any adverse effect on the flooring......anyone know ?

I built three pvc " stands " and ridge poles and use a tarp to completely cover my toon. playpen, front and rear platforms, motor everything is covered and I can stand up inside of it.

2004 Voyager

Cadet

Purple Power! I like that stuff, awesome cleaner, will give it a try this weekend, thanks for the advice

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

my wife uses a 50-50 mix of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, it has not returned. It is not an instant "walla", it takes a couple days after you treat it for it all to go away.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Optioned vinyl flooring on my new pontoon. Pine needles, tree sap and other tree debris are a problem at our dock. Good move by me, very easy to clean and no algae/mildew. Don't understand why this is not standard equipment?