merCruiser Alpha One 3.0 Engine will not start

JimTurkaly

Cadet
MY SEA RAY 1989 merCruiser Alpha One 3.0 engine will not start. There is little or no spark coming from the coil. Does anyone have a wiring Diagram for this year and model?. The previous owner made many rewiring changes with different colors of wire in the wiring harness and I cannot find where or if there is a Resister or Wire Resister placed anywhere. I checked the red wire coming from the Starter to the coil but could not find any. I restored the boat for the past 6 months a little at a time whenever I could. I thought I would have it on the WATER this past week . I went out and registered it and bought insurance on it and the trailer. I am almost ready to cancel it all and put it up for sale for $3,000.00.
jturkaly@nc.rr.com.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: merCruiser Alpha One 3.0 Engine will not start

If you provide an engine serial number and which ignition system you have (breaker points, DDIS or EST) then a wiring diagram can be provided.....

Chris......

JimTurkaly

Cadet

If you provide an engine serial number and which ignition system you have (breaker points, DDIS or EST) then a wiring diagram can be provided.....

Chris......

Chris the info you requested is as follows:

mercruiser Alpha One 3.0
4 cyl
Model MCM 3.0L
HP:130
Breaker points
Serial: 0_ _ 69488
There is a gouge in the label and possible empty spaces are either a 0,9 or 6 for the first space and 1 or 4 for the second space.
Thanks for your help!!! jturkaly@nc.rr.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If it has points, change em!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Your full engine serial number is 0C469488.

I agree with Terry, change the points. They might look fine, but a very thin layer of oxide on the face can cause a no-spark condition very easily.

Here's your wiring diagram...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 130 points wiring.jpg
    130 points wiring.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

JimTurkaly

Cadet

Your full engine serial number is 0C469488.

I agree with Terry, change the points. They might look fine, but a very thin layer of oxide on the face can cause a no-spark condition very easily.

Here's your wiring diagram...

attachment.php

Thanks a bunch for the wiring diagram, it was exactly what I needed! I will also change the points and condenser as suggested. Upon completion of my re-wiring I will get back to you. Once again thanks a bunch!