2003 yamaha txrb 130

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I'm having problems with my oil pump or system. I hear the pump pumping but its not filling up. Can the pump pump if the engine is all the way up on its clamp. Whenever I park my boat at my slip and then go out the next time the engine oil tank is empty. I can't see it leaking. When is the pump suppose to kick on, after using how much oil? Should it use 3 oz then refill that 3oz that was just used.any advice in how it works would be greatly appricated. Tganks

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 yamaha txrb 130

It's a really simple system. You have the external oil tank with the pump and a float.

That float tells the electronic oil module on the engine if the big tank's low on fuel, and it may put your engine into a fail safe mode. There is another float in the small oil tank (same float as in the big tank) that signals the oil module to pump oil to the big tank/pump. When the small oil tank is filled, the float tells the module to stop the pump.

The oil pump doesn't refill the small tank until it gets down pretty low. It doesn't do it 3 oz. by 3 oz.

First thing I'd do swap the floats and see if your small tank refills as it should. If so, just get a replacement float. You could also have a pump problem or even an oil module problem.

The oil module is the only repair I've made (other than normal maintenance) in 27 years of use on my 1985 Yamaha 115 2 stroke. I think it was about a $240 part.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thanks, but what happens if i get back to the dock and its right above the fill postion. Then the next time i go out its really low and it doesn't fill up fast enough and the alarm sounds. Because once you turn the key off it doesn't pump. My problem is sometimes i start the engine to head out and 5 min of riding the alarm sounds and its on the low level. What am I doing wrong? Does the pump take really long to fill up or is there so etching clogging. It takes like 2-3 hours to fill from lower line to the max line.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

pinched oil line or the in line oil filter is plugging up will cause slow fill with pump running, but you are talking about more than one problem if it over fills sometimes also.

Have you ever drained and cleaned oil tanks and lines to make sure to get rid of any sludge and water?
And then timed the refill of motor mounted tank to make sure it will refill in a certain time.

Do some forum searching oil system has been covered many times

The level switches in the 2 tanks are not the same, so do not try to swap them like last post said.

A Yamaha service manual for you motor will give lots of info an all systems

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yea thats true, i think my problem may be that I turn off my battery when I'm out on the water and the pump turns off. Shoukd i be leaving my battery on? Lol

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

oil should only fill when key is 1st turned on for a minuet or so or while motor is running,
so find & fix the slow fill and find the problem with overfill too

Last edited:

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhh man i didnt know it pumps once you turn the key on. The problem is def going to be where I tried patching the oil line with rescue tape or the filter. When I attempt to put a new oil line or filter do i need to bleed the system. Any other tips would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks yam99

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Seems you do not understand the need for a owners manual and service manual for you motor.
At least you need to do some searching on the forums and reading to see what all things do.

The line from remote tank and motor tank does not to be bled as it will pump oil to the motor tank before you start it up.
You will need to make very sure the motor tank to oil pump and motor are working and delivering oil where it needs to be if you do something to those lines before running motor

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, but your oil system's a little different from my older 115 hp oil system. See the parts microfiche on IBoats.net. Google "Yamaha outboard parts" and click on the ********** link to get to it. (Administrations would allow it to be posted here.)

If you have not already done it, replace the patched line.

You might want to pull the two tanks, drain and clean them out. There are a couple of strainers that can get gummed up and impede the oil flow.

Last edited: