1972 Glastron V163 Restore progress. (this is what a rotten transom looks like)

JNormV163

Seaman
Well so far I have most of the deck off and today I pulled a part of the top cap off to expose the rotten transom. So far everything with a little elbow grease and help of my wife was pretty easy. Ive noticed that Glastron did a nice job building this boat. Everything seems to make a decent amount of sense. For example where the stringers meet the hull there is a flat lip where the stringer is built to sit. (instead of having to make an angled cut like I hear some boats are. Which I also hear is a PAIN.) Had to stop progress today again because of rain. In Colorado Springs it likes to be sunny in the AM then pour in the evening. Tomorrow I'm gonna remove some bolts from the transom and clean the entire hull. Here are some pics of the progress.

Pulled the carpet and deck to reveal the stringers. (rotten)

Pulled the motor

Used a cutting tool and some careful cutting and prying to pull the stern portion of the cap.

Rotten transom. Are these foam cubes necessary? I want to fill the hull with pour foam. Wondering if I really need both?

If you're debating a restoration GO FOR IT. So far is hasn't been to much of a challenge. They didn't build these boats to be complex (at least mine) Im enjoying every second of it. Feels good to have a hobby again. Thanks for all your help. Without Iboats I wouldn't have even started.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 Glastron V163 Restore progress. (this is what a rotten transom looks like)

Hey I am along for the ride.

"...Are these foam cubes necessary?...."

I think, but do not know, that they are to build up flotation volume. I have them on my Glastron.

JNormV163

Seaman
Re: 1972 Glastron V163 Restore progress. (this is what a rotten transom looks like)

Hull completely cleaned out. This bilge area, Can I leave it or should I get rid of it and build a new one? It seems to be in solid shape and seems pretty hard to re glass. Also I have what looks like epoxy or some sort of glue at the bottom of where the transom used to be. I have stripper but it says not to use on fiberglass. I can't get this stuff off with a hammer and chisel! Idk how to get that crap out of there so I can set the new wood in. Thanks.

JNormV163

Seaman

Nothing at all?

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

I would lose that bilge peice and just glass it back in square, not sure why they made it that shape....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO you need to use a sawzall and cut that bilge out, along with all the remaining stringer channels and use a grinder to grind your hull down to smooth fresh glass and then start building her back. You can rebuild the bilge with no problem at all and make it a lot better than the one that was there.

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's likely the original transom PB puddled at the bottom of the transom. Use a grinder.

Remove the curved bilge pan, it's in the way of removing the last of the glass at the transom, you'll need to remove that channel to remove the excess puddle of resin in the bottom of it.

JNormV163

Seaman

It's likely the original transom PB puddled at the bottom of the transom. Use a grinder.

Remove the curved bilge pan, it's in the way of removing the last of the glass at the transom, you'll need to remove that channel to remove the excess puddle of resin in the bottom of it.

Thats what I was afraid of. Oh well... I felt like If I left a template it would be easier to rebuild. Im almost convinced I dont have to grind those stringer openings down. I get this feeling like theyre meant to be there.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Im almost convinced I dont have to grind those stringer openings down. I get this feeling like theyre meant to be there.
Why?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They are not meant to be there. You won't be able to get a good bond to the hull with the new stringers if you leave them as they are. Others have tried with less than desirable results. As always it's your boat and you can do with it as you see fit. Just letting you know what has been bantered about here on this forum and many others over the past several years.

JNormV163

Seaman

because you can tell where it was hand fiberglassed and where it almost looks like the frame of the boat. Had to explain but its about a quarter of an inch thick. As thick as the shell of the hull. Same material.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I almost bough into the exact same sweet little Glastron in a 17' with a 135 HP Rude on it but unlike you, the glass work it needed scared me off. I still drive by and look at the poor old field boat almost daily. I applaud your attitude and can see you getting into another glass boat after this one, maybe even title the thread "Glass Addiction".

Can I interest you in a slightly used and stripped out rotten Chris Craft cuddy? :D

JNormV163

Seaman

I almost bough into the exact same sweet little Glastron in a 17' with a 135 HP Rude on it but unlike you, the glass work it needed scared me off. I still drive by and look at the poor old field boat almost daily. I applaud your attitude and can see you getting into another glass boat after this one, maybe even title the thread "Glass Addiction".

Can I interest you in a slightly used and stripped out rotten Chris Craft cuddy? :D

lol my next boat will definitely have a cabin. I plan on spending weekends on the water but idk about a project lol I still have to finish this one! I feel like I should be more scared of fiberglass than I am! I thought that was gonna be the easy part! lol

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

because you can tell where it was hand fiberglassed and where it almost looks like the frame of the boat. Had to explain but its about a quarter of an inch thick. As thick as the shell of the hull. Same material.

Hi JNormV163,
Just coming aboard to check this build out...looks like it will be a nice ride when its done...

You really need to grind all the old stuff outa there...just make sure the hull is properly supported or it could deform...
You also need to take lots of notes, pictures and measurements, so you can rebuild everything back the same...

When you are done grinding, your hull should look something like this...

Then you will be ready to cut some new wood and install it...

Have fun and best of luck!
GT1M

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup. The old tabbing comes out. You can use an angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel parallel to the bottom of the hull!.. and slide along as low as you can. They will be gone in no time at all.

Then use a flexible disk to sand smooth what ever nubs are left. Take it all off. Your going to rebuild it better than Glastron