Clear Site Water Seperation Filter question

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice
I put a new Moeller Clear Site filter on today but assumed that the clear bowl will only fill with water, as it separated from the fuel. But upon priming it, the clear bowl filled with gas/oil mixture (it's a 2 cycle). Does water just build up, by just settling to bottom of clear bowl, as it separates? If so, how does the filter separate the water? What I mean is, does the filter actually aid in the seperation, or is it just by settling to bottom as water is heavier than fuel mixture?

Dave

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Clear Site Water Seperation Filter question

The water won't pass through the filter element and it falls to the bottom of that clear plastic bowl, to be drained as needed with that pet-**** on the bottom....the water looks different from the fuel in the bowl so you can tell when it's in there....If/when you find water there might be a good time to double-check/clean your motor-mounted filter just to be double sure....

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice

RG - thanks for the reply.

Related to your recommendation about changing the filter. Can a generic Fram with 3/8 fittings be used to replace the present gas filter? Just wondering if you have to stay with stock parts for some reason - say for instance - restrictriction to flow. I have a few small Frams that I picked up and they are pretty much the same length, just a little bigger diameter. Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is my first boat, and it's been a big learning experience. Been plagued with hard starting and some feel it's related to moisture in the fuel. Thus the water seperator getting installed. Read quite a bit on Ethanol based fuel and it pretty much indicates that everyone running E10 should have the water seperation filter installed.

Thanks

Last edited:

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a twist. I drained the bowl last night after doing some boating. Grab the bulb this morning and attempt to pump it up. After pumping for over 5 minutes, I can not get the bulb hard. Engine seems like its getting no fuel, due to nit being able to get bulb hard. Does the line loose prime when you empty bowl? I know what a hard time I had getting that line primed and actually had to take filter off and fill it. Hope I don't have to take filter off every time I empty bowl? Looking for someone to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's not already done install the primer bulb on the tank side of the filter. That makes it easier to fill the filter when you change it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Just to be clear. A water seperator element doe not stop water from going to the engine. Water seperators work on gravity. Oil and gasoline are lighter than water, so the water falls to the bottom of the filter. Oil and water do not mix, so the water will be clear or cloudy. Gasoline or a gas/oil mix will be clear and colored from the oil dye.

With todays alcohol/gasoline blend, if too much water gets into the seperator, the alcohol and water will seperate from the gasoline. That too will not be colored by the oil dye. If you run an injection system, it will be harder to see the water or water/alcohol mix in the seperator. I periodically dump my seperator into a clear container and toss in some 2 cycle oil to dye the good gas. I can then monitor the water in the fuel tank.

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice

Interesting as the instructions specifically to put it bewtween the filter and the engine. I'll try it if noone else indicates it causes an issue. I'm thinking out loud, but per instructions you're pulling the fuel through the filter. Move the ball between tank and filter and you're pushing the fuel in to the filter.

Anyone have any more comments about where the bulb is located when water sperator is installed?

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always put the primer bulb on the tank side. It makes life easier. Of course if you fill up the filter every time you change it that works too.