electrical stator and trigger testing what setting for meter ??update!!

bayliner33

Seaman Apprentice
hi i'm not sure what to set mulitimeter at to test the stator, and trigger I'm not sure if it's dc 2vlt/20vlt, or ohm's not sure what selection. I'm working on a 1987 85 hp force outboard motor. any help is greatly appreciated. I do have the manual to tell me how, and what wires to test, but it does not say what to set it at. thank's again

Last edited:

bayliner33

Seaman Apprentice
Re: electrical stator and trigger testing what setting for meter ??

the problem is motor will not start it backfires, rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, new spark plugs, new plug ends for the wires, new boot's for plug wires, took all wires connections apart, and cleaned them. waiting for new key for fly wheel. found no burnt wires, or burnt spots on stator. motor is in neutral, safety neutral switch works, kill switch is bypassed. compression is good on all cyclinder's. waiting to check spark on plugs, till I get the new flywheel key. I know nothing about motor other then that it sat for a long time. any other ideas to check for?? thank's steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Without the flywheel key, you can not check anything because timing is all taken off the flywheel. I forget the exact numbers but the meter is set to OHMS and stator should have a set number as will the triggers.

Once you get the flywheel installed with the new key, torque the nut to 90 foot pounds. Then, be certain that the coils are connected to the correct wires on the CD boxes and each coil is connected to the correct plug--top down, 1,2,3.

Once this is done, try to start the engine.
Where in S.E. Pa are you? It is possible I could help. Send me a PM with your location.

bayliner33

Seaman Apprentice
Re: electrical stator and trigger testing what setting for meter ??update!!

Well I finally figured it out, as this motor sat for a long time so I had to go over everything. It all tested good. I found that who ever had this prior to me had the #3 coil wire hooked up incorrect it was hooked to the orange wire instead of the red wire on the cd box. It now fires right up. Thank's Frank and to all else who have helped, on this thread and my other threads. I'm greatful for these forum's they are very helpful and save us a lot $$.