Question for first pontoon boat

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see all the time pontoons for sale, but no trailer, would I buy a trailer and shop for a boat, or find a boat and fit the trailer to it?
I know it would be best to find both but I cannot afford new, I am looking to use a newer stile trailer I think they call it a bunk stile trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for first pontoon boat

Apply a little logic here. Why buy a trailer and then limit yourself as to the boat size. Buy the boat and then find a suitable trailer.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

There are many pontoons with a trailer included. Used is a great way to save some money. Take your time, test it out (motor, floor, etc) and check the logs for water.

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Silvertip. Find pontoon that you want first, then look for trailer. Dont know where you are located, but in Minnesota, it was hard to find a combo. We found the Toon we wanted, then the search for a trailer began. Ended up buying a new bunk trailer from the dealer we bought the used toon from. They set it up for us and everything was ready to go when we got there. If you find a 18 foot trailer, what happens when you find a 22 foot toon that fits everything that you are looking for? :confused:

Last edited:

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, question answered, maybe I'll get lucky and find something locally ad rent a trailer to bring her home.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can rent a trailer or hire someone from a marina who can transport it for you until you can find a trailer. :) Good luck and enjoy.

bav/270w

Seaman Apprentice

Good advice above. Unless you're renting a crank up trailer how do you get it off when you get it home. Very difficult with a bunk trailer unless you own your ramp and body of water to put it in. Be patient and look for a trailer/ boat combo. Or if you find a boat first make sure the seller is willing to let you keep it there until you find a trailer.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

......OR

I worked a marina once. they had a hydraulic trailer that could be backed under almost any boat, then a few levers hit and the bunks raised up, boat lifted and away it went. Unloading the boat was just as easy.

Once, a worker didn't secure a customer's boat on it's trailer, while towing it up a fairly steep road to the hilltop storage area, the boat fell off the trailer. Ever see s 28 ft boat laying on it's side on a steep hill ? It ain't perty. Any way, some jacking, insert hydraulic trailer and viola! boat loaded. was pretty simple really.

Worker not fired and only cosmetic damage to boat. Still, that large of a boat, laying on the asphalt, it was fudged up.----------------------------------

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woo Woo Kid, That is exactly what I was thinking regarding a trailer. Most Marinas have this type and when it is time to store the Marina can place the boat on styrofoam type blocks. I agree the best thing is to have a trailer but for me I keep the boat wet slipped in the boat months and in a building when the weather is not conducive to boating. This works great except having to move the boat on someone else's schedule other than yours.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Finding a good used pontoon trailer is like trying to find a virgin the mourning after prom-