Trailering a wooden boat

geminibuddy

Recruit
Newbie to wooden boats. Contemplating purchase but will be trailering it 30min-2 hours.

I realize maintenance on wooden boats is higher- main reason I like it is total style. Anyway, trailering making me nervous for loosening it up, etc. Am I over thinking it? Pros/Cons/How to avoid problems?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Trailering a wooden boat

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

As long as the trailer is set up properly, the boats should be fine. Common sense while trailering will go a long way (avoid rough roads when possible, drive slowly when you can't, etc.).

matt167

Captain

Most classic wooden boats are trailered. Nothing to worry about beyond just be careful. Don't trailer a wooden boat on a roller trailer tho. Not healthy for them

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe double-check to be sure your trailer bunks are all in correct alignment and in maximum contact with the hull of your boat to provide solid support over bumpy roads....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Our family has had wooden boats since Grandpa bought the first one in 1939. I currently have a mint classic that is 61 years old. She sat on the original trailer for the first 53 years. I upgraded in 2005 because I wanted to trailer her long distances and felt that a new one would offer better security, while not losing me points when she got judged in a sanctioned ACBS meet. I hate to disagree with others, but I believe I can speak with some real world experience.

The current design all roller trailer may be perfect for a glass or metal boat, but not for a wooden one. The current design of bunk trailers is even worse! What you want is an old fashioned roller trailer. You need full roller support along the entire keel. The last roller should be right under the transom. The last 4 or 5 feet of the boat should be fully supported at the chines with either carpeted or full roller bunks, which extend all the way to the transom. A "V" support at the junction of the stem and keel is optional.

Most important of all, if its an outboard don't trailer with the motor up. Secure it with a trailer bracket or a transom saver.

Attachments

• after.JPG
    after.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Ned L

Commander

Beautiful Lyman Jim!! - And good advise. I would ask the OP what type of contruction is the boat?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I would ask the OP what type of contruction is the boat?

Right, a "wood" boat can mean a lot of different things. Is this a molded plywood, strip plank, double planked, lapstrake or any other combination/permutation of building a boat out of wood.

How the boat is built can have an impact on how the trailer should support it and whether or not it is advisable to trailer it. Some boats are best left in the water, others (either through a modification during restoration or b/c of the way it was built originally) could care less if they are in the water or not.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Right, a "wood" boat can mean a lot of different things. Is this a molded plywood, strip plank, double planked, lapstrake or any other combination/permutation of building a boat out of wood.

How the boat is built can have an impact on how the trailer should support it and whether or not it is advisable to trailer it. Some boats are best left in the water, others (either through a modification during restoration or b/c of the way it was built originally) could care less if they are in the water or not.

OK, I'll expand the answer....

Plywood, plank, lapstreak, whatever.....my same recommendations apply with one exception. On a lapstreak I would use carpeted bunks instead of roller bunks because the rollers may not always line up well with the laps. Of course, still full keel roller support.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed it was an outboard. If its a straight inboard, the models made today are largely the same as they were back in the day, so just go with a brand name manufacturer of inboard trailers.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

As the once proud owner of 2 woodies I have to agree with JimS123. Full keel rollers with side bunks and once again the more keel rollers the better.

geminibuddy

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice- as for construction I a considering an older (post-war) Century inboard. Again, I am a newbie to the wooden boat world, but love the style. Unsure as to overall considerations not only on trailer but on annual maintenance, etc. All suggestions appreciated.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A well maintained inboard trailer of any manufacturer will be fine, and you can trailer her anywhere. A wooden boat kept in the water covered will need attention to the bottom annually, including possible caulking and painting. Figure on varnish every 5 years. My current woodie is covered AND garage kept and hasn't seen ANY maintenance in 8 years, except for normal engine winterizing, tune up, impeller, etc.