knock in motor after overheating

jrluhm

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 99larson with 4.3gl it got hot once and then didn't want to start or crank for that matter. used some starting fluid and got it to start and put in trailer then got it home and same outcome. When it did start and run I had good oil pressure and water temp but now that its at home it seems to have a knock at low rpm. sounds better at higher rpms. I changed plugs and cranked motor a couple times. Got some fluid out. Not sure if water or fuel. kinda smelled like fuel but not real strong. Any thoughts? Thx

captmello

Captain
Re: knock in motor after overheating

Doesn't sound so good...It sounds like the motor hydrolocked because of "fluid" in a cylinder or two...Something could have been damaged by that. I would run the motor to make sure the cylinders are dried out. You don't want any water sitting in there rusting the cylinder walls. In the future skip the starting fluid, it's not good.

I would do a compression check.

jrluhm

Seaman Apprentice

Motors been ran in yard but not hard. Do I need to run it on lake and I will do compression check before I do. No water in oil btw.

captmello

Captain

No need to take it out on the lake. It should be dry if you ran it on muffs for a few minutes.